Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach cramps - is this a new and horrible symptom of my IBS or am I ill?

(7 Posts)
IlanaK Sat 15-Aug-09 21:50:10

The last three days I have been getting terrible stomach cramps. The first night it started I also had bad upset stomach. I often get this anyway due to IBS. But two days on and the cramps are still with me.

Is this part of IBS even though I have never had them before? Or is it an illness sign?

Is there anything I can do to ease them as its horrible?

UndertheBoredwalk Sat 15-Aug-09 21:59:53

I get bad cramps with my IBS so it could well be a symptom. I just use painkillers etc. Treat it pretty much the same as period pains really.
Have my sympathy though, tis horrible

IlanaK Sat 15-Aug-09 22:03:58

Does it feel like periods pains to you? Mine feels higher up than period pains. Really quite different.

Niecie Sat 15-Aug-09 22:10:18

Could be both - you had a bug but it has exacerated the IBS which is why you still have cramps.

Do you take anything for it? Are you eating properly or, more importantly, drinking fluids. I used to IBS a lot but it has eased a great deal since having children. However, I really feel it if I don't drink enough over a couple of days. Could the upset stomach made you dehydrated and you haven't managed to drink enough since?

I used to hug a hot water bottle which is quite soothing.

IlanaK Sat 15-Aug-09 22:13:16

Thanks for the reply. I do drink a lot, but have found that over the last couple of months my IBS is generally getting worse so maybe this is just a part of it. I can never tell if I have a bug or not as the symptoms seem to be the same as the IBS. I don't take anything for the IBS, but I recently started putting ground flaxseed into my food and I found this was really helping "firm" things up. But I ran out and haven't had it for about a week. Just got some more in the post today so will start having it again.

Also will start some acidopholus powder and peppermint capsules this week.

Niecie Sat 15-Aug-09 22:28:23

I was just going to suggest peppermint capsules. I used to take them - never knew if they helped but I have recently read something about peppermint being very soothing for the stomach.

Maybe it is a lack of flaxseed then - perhaps you are used to having it and your body is a bit shocked to have gone without this week.

Hope you feel better soon - I know how grim it can be.

thirtypence Sat 15-Aug-09 22:31:01

Gastritis should be eliminated, as should having an ulcer or starting with an ulcer. I take stuff to heal and prevent ulcers when I get symptoms. Have you taken any nurofen or aspirin recently?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now