Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i have been having a burning pain in my chest and shoulder blades for a week or more

(11 Posts)
candyfluff Sat 15-Aug-09 21:13:14

saw gp on thursday and she said i had a red looking throat and thought it was a virus.
im now thinking she was wrong as it seemed to of gone away and come back again tonight ?
every morning ive got a sore throat and gravelly voice ,
am on acid reflux tablets and not helping
anyone got any ideas?

candyfluff Sun 16-Aug-09 09:18:59

BUMP PLEASE

GentleOtter Sun 16-Aug-09 09:46:48

You must go back to the GP (perhaps see a different one?).

Sometimes raising the head of your bed - by putting bricks under the feet- helps plus a couple of extra pillows and some liquid Gaviscon Extra. (For gastric reflux).

candyfluff Sun 16-Aug-09 09:54:00

yes i know i will have to go back ,its getting really painful
my throat is so sore -do you think acid can burn your throat ?
am gonna get some gaviscon
thankyou

GentleOtter Sun 16-Aug-09 10:01:43

Phone NHS 24 if you are worried.

I would be loathe to advise you on gastric reflux as I'm not qualified but as my ds and I have it then I can say that the stomach acid burns like hell and leave us with sore, gravely throats, burning shoulder pains and ulceration in the oesophagus.
Gaviscon helped a lot in our case but we had to stop eating bread, spicy food, acidy fruit etc. Ds got tablets to help.
Can you ask your GP to refer you to the ENT clinic?

I hope you get some relief from the pain.

candyfluff Sun 16-Aug-09 14:59:01

thankyou ,i went and got some gaviscon
i am going to make another appointment tomorrow -will let you know how i get on .
somethings telling me maybe its gallstones.

candyfluff Mon 17-Aug-09 10:57:45

i have an appointment for 12 today -worried he will just fob me off

candyfluff Mon 17-Aug-09 14:16:17

so went to see gp ,he was really nice said to double up my reflux tablets and come back in a week if no better and he will refer me to have a camera down my throat.
said to eat small meals ,no spicy food or fatty food.
to raise up my bed and not to eat 2-3 hrs before bedtime.

OhBling Mon 17-Aug-09 14:29:11

For acid, my hot tip is NOT to have a low GI diet. Try foods that are easy to digest and don't make your stomach work too hard - so no super hardcore wholemeal bread but rather stick to fairly simple processed bread (but be careful as there ca be sugar in those which is bad). meals with just a bit of rice with some plain veggies are good too.

Not forever obviously, but while you're getting things under control.

GentleOtter Tue 18-Aug-09 10:28:44

I'm glad he was listening to you candyfluff and that you may be seen by ENT.

I was told to lose 3 stone and give up smoking by the fattest consultant who reeked of pipe smoke!

I hope you start feeling better soon. Raising the head of the bed really does help as does an extra pillow.

candyfluff Tue 18-Aug-09 20:28:42

thankyou smile
since i doubled up the dose of my reflux tabs my throat has been much better
a big sigh of relief

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now