Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cystitis - help!

(20 Posts)
pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 18:33:42

ouch ouch please anyone out there with any advice on how to ease this?

started about 3.30 this afternoon - ive taken some over the counter powders (twice!) as its killing me.
ive taken to my bed and am rocking like a loon...im drinking tons - no idea where its all going cos when i pee its a dribble and kills me....sorry about the TMI but i need help! please!
ive got cranberry juice in and lemon barley water and am guzzling them for all im worth.
when will this feeling of needing a wee go?
ta. x

noddyholder Sat 15-Aug-09 18:37:22

Don't drink cranberry it only works to prevent! Lemon barley and paracetomol and if its still bad monday go to the doctor before it becomes a kidney infection.Poor you its a nightmare I know!

MaggieBeauLeo Sat 15-Aug-09 18:37:50

what have you taken? cystemme? it worked fairly quickly for me., within 4 hours I felt a little better, within 8 I felt ok again..

If you don't feel better soon, ask for anti-biotics, as it can go up into the kidney. Don't mean to alarm you, but just if they otc med doesn't kick in soon...

it's agony. awful. poor you.

Niecie Sat 15-Aug-09 18:39:57

Agree with the lemon barley and paracetamol. Just keep drinking. It will start to help eventually.

Hot water bottle on your tummy will help too.

Nasty though, I know.sad

Hope you feel better soon.

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 18:58:38

thanks all - ive tried a hot bath which at least stopped me weeing for a few mins. im drinking loads but trust it to happen on a flaming weekend and ive got to! go to work monday as im the holiday cover.not tried paracetamol so will take that next but am starting to feel sick and sloshy with all the lemon barley....yuk
ill stick to that and put the cranberry back...this is agony. thanks all. x

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 19:05:48

powders i took were called cymalon. ive actually got some AB in the cupboard from last time i had an infection and didnt take em - amoxicillin....would you just start them? or wait?

Niecie Sat 15-Aug-09 19:12:01

I don't know. Sometimes you can have it without having an infection. A couple of times my urine test came back clear even though I have been in a lot of pain so ABs wouldn't have made a difference.

Why not have a word with NHS Direct or your out of hours doctor?

How is your back? Is it hurting at all? Do you have temperature?

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 19:18:03

feel sick but think thats all the juice im drinking.
dont think ive got a temp. just that horrible needing to pee feeling and then an intense burning as i finish...feels like my innards are being sucked out....got stomach ache more than back ached. but its just not easing even after 2 sachets of stuff and drinking my own body weight in lemon barley.
ive only ever had this twice in my life. not been indulging in naughties so not a clue how ive got it either. im so fed up and cant get in any position thats not hurting!
im not usually such a baby with pain but this is pissing me off big time.

deepdarkwood Sat 15-Aug-09 19:23:06

It is horribly painful. I suspect if it's only come on this afternoon it's unlikely to have gone to your kidneys yet <desclaimer I am not a doctor>

Just keep drinking more than you can fesibly imagine, hot water bottles, and defn chuck the paracetamol down you.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sat 15-Aug-09 19:30:17

I have always found that the only thing that makes me feel better is to drink as much water as you can (don't over do it though) so that at least you do need to go when you need to go, IYSWIM.

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 19:30:45

cheers am doing just that but with little effect so far...its doing my nut in.

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 19:40:18

can i also ask if anyone knows if its normal to get a discharge with cystitis? got a very sudden snotty one ( really really sorry about the tmi again folks)
wanting to try and work out if i should be calling out of hours gp....or lump it for a bit longer. actually got a very achey side and arnt sure if its an infection tbh

Naetha Sat 15-Aug-09 20:07:07

Seriously, the only thing that will really work when it's that bad is ABs.

Ring NHS direct and explain how much pain you're in. They should be able to refer you to an out of hours doctor, and you should be able to pick up some trimethoprim from an all night pharmacy.

Knock this on the head now

Chinchilla Sat 15-Aug-09 20:10:09

If it started at 3.30 and you have been drinking loads, it SHOULD have abated a bit by now. Are you sure it IS cystitis?

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 20:11:19

yeah think i will. have sussed out that the snotty stuff is happening when i pee...yuk yuk and yuk.
thanks all. off to phone out of hours service.

pickyvic Sat 15-Aug-09 20:12:16

sorry chinchilla x posts. yep im sure - off to phone gp.

Elk Sat 15-Aug-09 20:14:19

If it is cystitis I used to mix 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda with a pint of orange squash and sip it slowly over an hour and then do that again twice. I won't cure the cystitis but it will reduce the acidity and make it less painful. I also use a hot water bottle on my tummy.

Niecie Sat 15-Aug-09 20:51:30

How you doing pickyvic?

What I used to do, although probably some wouldn't recommend it, is to try and increase the length of time between each wee. You know you don't really need to go as you only do a dribble but if you can hold off for 15 minutes or so or longer if possible (not hours though), sometimes your body has time to hold onto some of that soothing lemon barley and it doesn't hurt so much to wee if you have a bit more to do iyswim. I doubt you would find that in any text book but it did use to help a bit and break the cycle.

Have you used a new bubble bath or shower gel? Sometimes they can irritate delicate parts.

oneopinionatedmother Sat 15-Aug-09 21:02:38

6 pints of water a day...no sugary drinks, no tea/coffee.

bland food diet too.

*no booze*

i hate cystitis, and have had it in my kidneys. Any pain in kidneys (lower back region) see doctor, any temperature same - in fact if you still have it on monday i recommend appt for anti-bs.

hot salty water baths no products (no bubble bath/oil). wee in bath/shower if painful.

i try, but i still can't bring myself to use the blush emoticon. evidently i have no shame.

god i hate cystitis.

DMonabonfireinadeepdarkwood Sat 15-Aug-09 21:09:44

Snotty stuff when you wee? Humm, that doesn't sound 'standard - looks like you're ringing NHS Direct which sounds sensible to me smile

I have once had a thrush/cystitis combo (which is not a sharing platter) - which was utterly foul... could it be that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now