Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still no periods 10.5 months after birth, baby being bf, is this ok?

(15 Posts)
BertieBotts Sat 15-Aug-09 16:12:30

I have also lost a lot of weight since DS was born which I am hoping is related to the bf as well (as in I am hoping when he starts to feed less I will put it back on, I am quite underweight atm). No plans to stop bf any time soon, it just occured to me that I think it is fairly unusual and wondered if this was ok or whether I should be worried.

abdnhiker Sat 15-Aug-09 16:19:59

I didn't get my first period until DS2 was 11.5 months and I'd dropped down to two feeds a day so this sounds normal to me!

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 15-Aug-09 16:22:13

My periods never returned after ds' birth - I got pg with dd when he was 16 months old and must have had my first ovulation fertilised IYSWIM. (She was a surprise baby.)

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but if you're worried, pop down to see your GP and maybe ask to get your thyroid checked? That's what my GP said to me when I went to her when my AF hadn't returned. When it came back as normal she suggested I did a pg test! wink

thirdname Sat 15-Aug-09 16:24:24

don't quite remmebe, I think it was 16 mo and 10 mo

RustyBear Sat 15-Aug-09 16:27:31

My timing was almost exactly the same as Urban's - there's 2y & 6 weeks between my two I stopped bf DS in April, didn't have a period & DD was born in February.

midnightexpress Sat 15-Aug-09 16:28:50

DS2 was about 15 months I think (and still BFing). DS1 not bf at that age (and I was pg by the time he was 5 months...)

BertieBotts Sat 15-Aug-09 16:33:27

Oh I am definitely not pregnant, we'd have to have sex for that to happen!! Good to know it's not that unusual anyway.

duchesse Sat 15-Aug-09 16:36:59

I didn't for 12 months after having child 1. Got pregnant before periods returned though, so not impossible to conceive whilst not having a visible cycle! It did mean that I had 9+12+9+6 months off periods in one block though. Which was nice.

Ineedsomesleep Sat 15-Aug-09 16:54:38

Enjoy it. I didn't get mine till about 18 months with both DS and DD. Its one of the benefits for most Bfing Mums.

Don't worry about the weight either. I was quite underweight but my appetite has been set at bf portions and not DD is almost fully weaned I'm having to start thinking about what I eat.

piprabbit Sat 15-Aug-09 17:03:15

Both babies, my periods returned two months after stopping brestfeeding at approx. 11 or 12 months after birth - sounds OK to me.

TheProvincialLady Sat 15-Aug-09 17:09:54

I'm sure that I read somewhere that 15m is about average for breat feeding mums.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 08:17:05

If you're underweight, then your thyroid might need checking, or you should be screened for coeliac issues. The periods, or lack of them, are not anything to worry about, but the weight loss I would investigate. They may pressure you to give up bfing, warning...

Jumente Mon 17-Aug-09 08:32:28

I'm not sure...you've got me worried now!!! I'm still bfing ds2 and he's 2y2m now...not a sausage...hmm

oo-er

Jumente Mon 17-Aug-09 08:33:26

...although saying that, I dreamed I had random sex with some no good bloke last night, and was worried about being pregnant!

What's that about then!!!!

Highlander Tue 18-Aug-09 16:10:54

11 months DS1

18 months after DS2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now