Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

wasp stings

(14 Posts)
gingerbunny Fri 14-Aug-09 22:39:09

My poor DS has been stung twice this week (on the neck and lip) on two different days out. Luckily I had cream and pirton with me, so i could treat it quickly both times. But it has really spoilt the days for him and he is now very panicky when he sees anything that remotely looks like a wasp or sounds like one.
I have been trying to find some repeliant sprays for wasps, but with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions please. thanks

twelveyeargap Sat 15-Aug-09 11:12:49

I've read that baby powder (ones that contain talc) is good insect/ wasp repellant.

TDiddy Sat 15-Aug-09 11:16:22

My son has had a few stings and is the same. Also, try to squeeze (venom) out of sting after he is stung- hopefully this wouldn't happen again. Worth keeping anti-sting cream around just in case.

gingerbunny Sat 15-Aug-09 22:18:47

thanks for your suggestions, i've found some suntan lotion in boots with wasp repeliant in, so i'm going to give that a try.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 15-Aug-09 22:23:54

I don't know about repellant, but in the past I've found Wasp-eze really does numb the pain. (not on lips though I suppose).

There are a lot of the wretched creatures around at the moment, aren't there? I was in the bath the other evening and noticed two inside on the window. Managed to shoo them out with no damage on either side but did I ever feel vulnerable!grin

Quattrocento Sat 15-Aug-09 22:28:04

Watching this thread with interest - as have just discovered a nest. So if anyone has any bright tips on wholesale slaughter of wasps please do share.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 15-Aug-09 22:29:18

Quatro - I found a nest a couple of months ago.
info online says wasps peak jan - sep and then die off never using that nest again - so I am leaving it.

traceybath Sat 15-Aug-09 22:31:40

Quattro - call your local council and a nice person should come and destroy it for you.

We've had one nest destroyed this summer - realised there was a problem when had 8 wasps in children's bedroom.

Unfortunately we must have another nest somewhere as have killed over 20 wasps in the house today - horrid things!

You can buy wasp killer stuff and do the nest yourself but a bit risky if its a big one.

My local council do it for free but i know some areas do charge.

Sawyer64 Sat 15-Aug-09 22:32:45

Have recently read that Wasps are very Territorial,so apparently you can get hold of Fake nests and hang it close by,and they leave.

Get private companies in to do the deed,as Council very expensive according to my parents recently.

Quattrocento Sat 15-Aug-09 22:33:59

Oh thank you all - will check to find Wasp Removers

ChasingSquirrels Sat 15-Aug-09 22:34:13

our council have discontinued offering pest control from this May - as the contractor went out of business.

sherby Sat 15-Aug-09 22:40:18

DS been stung 4 times this summer already

Worried as I have read somewhere that a few stings in a short space of time can lead to allergy/reaction

I am not waging a blood fued with any wasp that comes within 3 ft of the house little fuckers

gingerbunny Sat 15-Aug-09 22:46:58

the suntan lotion I got today is the soltan one from boots (BOGOF), it says insect and wasp repellant. it's the only thing i can find that says wasp repellant that is suitable for children.
so i'm going to lather ds in it even when it's not sunny!!, as i want to try and prevent it happening again, instead of curing it after the event.

TDiddy Mon 17-Aug-09 15:32:28

I was recently persuaded to extend our emergency cover to include pest cover including wasps rempval. I think it was only approx GBP25 per year but will check if anyone needs the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now