Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

So what could bleeding in between periods be?

(12 Posts)
HerBeatitude Fri 14-Aug-09 16:45:20

Hmm? GP is reluctant to refer me to a gyno, but I would like to know waht it is. AIBU? Should I just live with it and not worry, is it normal? It's not as a result of sex, I don't have any. So what could it be, anyone know?

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks Fri 14-Aug-09 17:02:08

Why's he reluctant - it can be a warning of some types of cancer so I'd have thought he should be referring you unless he is 100% sure himself from stuff he's done that it isn't.

I'm sure it can be numerous other more more innocent reasons as well.

ilovetrees Fri 14-Aug-09 17:04:56

HB I used to have this. It used to occur only around the time of ovulation. If this is what happens to you then that's prob why doctor doesn't want to refer you. Should have explained it to you though. I only had a bit of spotting but it was always linked to ovulation. If yours occurs at other times of the month, then you should get it checked out.

I had a coil fitted and haven't had any more problems with it.

Warmseabreeze Fri 14-Aug-09 17:06:55

Hi last year I started bleeding in between my periods (generally 4-7 days before proper AF, which varied between light red to brown). After lots of tests mine turned out to be due to thyroid problems. I would definately push to get it resolved. xx

luvaduck Fri 14-Aug-09 17:30:11

intermenstrual bleeding needs referring.
I am a GP.
See another one.

Any chance you could be pregnant? How old are you ? smears up to date?

did he/she do any bloods?

it could be ovulatory but needs further thought

HerBeatitude Fri 14-Aug-09 18:05:49

Thanks for the responses, it kind of backs up what I've been thinking.

My GP suggested tht it might be because of menopause (I'm 43) but I would really like to get it checked out to rule out anything more sinister. TBH I just thought he would automatically refer me just to be sure it's nothing serious.

Luvaduck - am definitely not pregnant, haven't had sex for years. Am about to go for a smear in about a week so might try and get referred then, but I have a feeling the practice nurse doesn't have the power to refer, am not sure on this one though.

bigTillyMint Fri 14-Aug-09 18:10:54

I had this, and the GP I saw at my practice referred me immediately. A woman GP wink

I had a scan which showed a small polyp in my uterus, which was subsequently removed in day surgery.

Then, about a year later I had very irregular bleeding and one period that was horrendously heavy - I was referred again and they found another very small polyp which was removed.

I think it might have been nothing to do with the polyps, and more to do with my age wink, but it was good to see a specialist.

luvaduck Fri 14-Aug-09 18:21:18

print this out and show it to him

from a gp source he will be familiar with it.

over 40 with intermenstrual bleeding def refer and consider referring urgently

see here at bottom of refer urgently bit

don't delay!

HerBeatitude Fri 14-Aug-09 19:10:15

Thanks for these links luvaduck, I wish I'd asked this a year ago...

deepdarkwood Fri 14-Aug-09 19:17:59

Another (benign) option is cervial erosion - reasonbaly common, and just means your cervix bleeds occasionally, as far as I can understand it. Also easily treated if it causes your problems.

Although it does suggest that your fanjo is slowly collapsing inwards like the great white cliffs of Dover...

Defn surprised at lack of exploration - when I had this my GP sent me for an immeadiate smear to cross off anything unpleasant, then did an internal to check for erosion (which I'd had in pg)

luvaduck Fri 14-Aug-09 19:25:17

good luck

by the way, don't worry unnecessarily, most cases turn out to be benign. you just do need to get in checked just in case.

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 08:26:13

If it's around ovulation it's Mittelschmerz, but if not, you need to find another gp and get tested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: