Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excruciating pain in right hand side during period - Have posted before about this, anyone else the same?

(6 Posts)
mummatoone Fri 14-Aug-09 16:31:38

a few months ago I have severe pain in my stomach and nearly passed out - went to Dr's who said that it could be ovulation pain - bascially I am 40 and your ovaries start to pack up hence why its harder to get pregnant from 40+ onwards etc...

The following month was ok then I assumed I was ovulating again and the pain came back but not as painful. 12 day slater started period and again the pain came suddenly and was absolutely excruicating, again nearly made me pass out, felt sick and had to lie down.

I am not a mardy person and take periods and stuff liek that in my stride but this was very, very frightening.

My Dr said a few months ago to go back if it continues and she would refer me to a gynocologist - does anyone or has anyone had this - do you think its just ovary pain or something more serious????

Rossco Fri 14-Aug-09 16:43:08

I get this so you are not alone. I haven't been to the doc yet as by the time I get round to making an appointment the pain has gone and I forget for another month.

I get pain that feels like labour for a couple of hours the day I ovulate. My mum had the same and says its ovulation pain. She's not a doc right enoughhmm

Then during my period I am crippled with a pain low down on the right hand side of my abdomen. The pain had been there since I had DS4 by CS 4 years ago and it kills to sneeze, cough or laugh during that week.

I really should go and see about it....

TotalRockChick Fri 14-Aug-09 18:03:33

I get left hand side pain not as severe as what you're describing though. Sometimes feels 'fluttery' but varies between that (which isn't so bad) and a really sharp stabbing sensation which takes my breath away, but goes relatively quickly shock Got referred to hospital/gynae about it and had a scan but they believe it's where my left side fallopian tube could be narrower than the right side at the top and the pain is when the egg is passing through this narrow point. No confirmed response though. Makes me feel a bit queasy normally and a sit down and a few deep breaths is about all I can do. Really recommend speaking to your GP even if you don't get a crystal clear answer, could point to something in the future ...

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Fri 14-Aug-09 19:11:45

Hi,
You really should be referred. Off the top of my head, it could be cyst(s) or endometriosis, which would also cause the period pain. Fibroids could cause the period pain, but not sure if it would cause the ovulation pain. Anyway, whatever it is, they need to determine the underlying cause, as you don't get this sort of pain without a reason. I've had this sort of pain myself (endo sufferer) and it can be very scary. Even if you know what it is, you sometimes feel like your abdomen is just going to explode.

Things to note: endo often doesn't show up on ultrasound. If it has caused a big cyst then it will show up, but if you have lots of little cysts you will need someone very experienced to be capable of spotting that.

Small cysts will often regress by themselves. Maybe that's why they are not rushing to do anything. But personally, I would push for a referral, as a) the pain can be a major problem and cysts are treatable and b) a small cyst is only one of a number of possible causes, some of which might be less benign.

See here or here for info on endo. I'm not so well up on non-endo cysts and fibroids.
Hope this helps. I get slightly annoyed ant GPs who take this line, because it isn't really necessary for you to suffer in this way if you get the appropriate help.

mummatoone Fri 14-Aug-09 20:17:08

Thanks for your responses. My Dr said last time I saw her a few months ago that it could be a cyst - she gave me an internal and said that if it was she would be able to feel it - she couldnt feel anything to be concerned about.

She did say to come back if the pain continues and she would refer me. I haen tbeen the last few months as its been ok but Sunday it really frightened me as the pain was really, really severe...it was a good job my husband was at home otherwise there was no way I could look after my 4 yr old.

Fingercrossed it wont be anything too serious - i had a smear earlier this year and that was clear - I just keep thinking about Jade Goody's symptons ie. She kept passing out with pain and that's how they discovered her cancer etc...

Will update next week once Ive seen the Dr...thanks again for your support

mummatoone Mon 17-Aug-09 17:51:44

Just been to Dr's and she has referred me to a gynocoligist.

Dr thinks it may be endometriosis - but I only get the severe pain during a period for a day or so and through the remainder of the month dont get really any pain just discomfort.

Well just have to wait for an appointment now and see what's what!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now