Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Total deafness in one ear, Dr said nothing can be done.

(9 Posts)
whyme2 Thu 13-Aug-09 23:03:31

I'm in shock after today. I had a detailed hearing test and saw the consultant. He said I had practically no hearing left in my left ear and there wasn't anything he could do to help me. This is probably the result of a viral infection I had a couple of months ago,.
I don't know what to do, not being able to hear has really affected me in just the last two months. i can't make out conversations in noisy rooms, can't hear my baby crying in the night, alarm clock, DC's general chat. I know people suffer worse things but I just want to cry at the moment.
Anyone got any advice/simliar to help me?

cornsillk Thu 13-Aug-09 23:05:14

Poor you. I have no experience of this - sorry.
sad
Can you use an aid to increase your hearing?

whyme2 Thu 13-Aug-09 23:06:43

Dr said an aid would not help as there is nothing getting through IYSWIM. I feel more sad that there isn't any help.

cornsillk Thu 13-Aug-09 23:10:29

Did the doctor give any advice about groups and organisations?

whyme2 Thu 13-Aug-09 23:13:06

No, I wasn't thinking enough to ask. Dh says I need to phone the RNID tomorrow. I have a scan booked and then a follow up so i will go with questions next time.
I never expected them to be unable to help.

Monkeyandbooba Thu 13-Aug-09 23:15:43

Beside emotional help you can get practical help too, contact the RNID as they can advise you on equipment such as this: www.rnid.org.uk/shop/products/baby_alarms/24hr_baby_alarm.htm

My parents and sister are deaf so if you need any practical suggestions let me know smile otherwise a big hug to you, must be like a bereavement

OldDoe Thu 13-Aug-09 23:15:51

I'm deaf in one ear and so is my daughter. She's 6.

Two ears - one hears and the other tells you where the sound is coming from - directional hearing. You get used to it and your good ear sharpens up.

I would strongly advise seeing a good ENT Consultant. There are ops that some people can have which help a lot - for example, grafting skin over the ear drum to create a new one, etc.

whyme2 Thu 13-Aug-09 23:24:30

thanks monkey. I will look at the rnid website. It does feel like a bereavement. Perhaps the hospital will be able to offer something after the scan.

kkgirl Sat 15-Aug-09 10:26:49

Why did he say that they was nothing he can do. I had a similar problem with my ear which went deaf after a virus and after 6 months and hearing test they found that I had allergies to grass and house dust mites and gave me a nasal spray within 1 month I could hear again.

I would ask for more information as to why they can't do anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now