Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds covered in bites. doctor says it looks like bed bugs. any experience?

(15 Posts)
juicychops Thu 13-Aug-09 21:16:00

i really dont think they are flee bites as they dont look like it and ds has not been itchy at all.

but they look horrid. he's got them in little groups over his back, belly, groin, leg, bum and a few odd ones on his arms.

today i changed all his sheets, hoovered the matress both sides and the carpets. is there anything else i can do?

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Thu 13-Aug-09 21:17:52

I think it might be a council job if it really is bed bugs.

pooka Thu 13-Aug-09 21:22:10

If beds bugs then way more invasive to get rid.

Heard a horrid phone in about people who had returned from hotels with bugs in suitcases and the havoc they wreaked. Basically think need professional treatment of all surfaces, including soft furnishing.

Maybe google?

juicychops Thu 13-Aug-09 21:25:53

my home is rented. will it be something the landlady will need to sort out do you think?

will flea spray kill them perhaps?

i thought they were little microscopic things but after reading on google they can grow up to 1/4 of an inch long!!

queenrollo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:39:18

has he been outside? playing in or near long grass?

MmeLindt Thu 13-Aug-09 21:43:28

I was just going to ask about the grass. Could be grass mites.

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 13-Aug-09 21:44:21

If it is bed bugs, they like to live in wood particularly - if your ds has a wooden bed then check all the joints and gaps and crannies of the bed to see where they're hiding, as well as any other wooden furniture in his room. Also curtains, in the folds at the top, and any other gaps and nooks, seams of mattress etc.

You'll need to strip it all down and spray with a strong insect killer, something like Raid, and then wash all the linens to get rid of the insecticide.

They multiply and spread really quick, so treat all rooms one by one, they're a complete nightmare I'm afraid sad

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsCrap Thu 13-Aug-09 21:50:03

Have a look at the seam around his matress, this is where the bed bugs poop, if they are bed bugs they will leave black specks. You need the council or a pest control company to sort these out, they are mega resliliant little bastards.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsCrap Thu 13-Aug-09 21:50:37

Oh yeah, they normally leave bites in a row of 3/4.

queenrollo Thu 13-Aug-09 21:53:11

yep MmeLindt - it's just the right time of year for harvest/grass mites. They are barely visible....a tiny bright orange speck. I got bitten by them last year and it took me ages to figure out what it was. It did make me itch but ds was bitten too and he didn't notice at all.

MmeLindt Fri 14-Aug-09 10:29:42

We had terrible bother with grass mites. The DC and especially DH would be covered in little red spots, all over his body but mainly over his stomach, arms and legs. Tehy were really itchy though, not like JC's DS.

A good sign that it is grass mites is that they damage the grass. We had wondered why we had hardly needed to cut the grass, that was why.

I have used a soapy water solution to water the grass for the past 3 weeks. That is supposed to get rid of them.

juicychops Fri 14-Aug-09 12:50:43

hi everyone. i now think the cat has flees as on the window ledge where she lays there is little flee looking poos.
could it be bed bugs living on her? or is it likely to be flees?

is it likely to be flees in ds's bed then too? i always thought that flee bites were itchy and also thought you could also see a little blood dot where they have actually biten, but ds's bites dont look like that

could it be flees on cat and bed bugs in ds's room!!???

morningpaper Fri 14-Aug-09 12:54:06

see here

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 13:02:40

hoover the mattress and spray with flea spray and i would go to the vet and get there equivalent of spot on cleared my cat so quick make sure you remove hoover bag once hoovered and sprayed everywhere

juicychops Fri 14-Aug-09 13:10:52

thanks for that morningpaper.

ds is at his great aunt's tonight for the night so tonight i am going to get rid of the clutter in his room and check out the bed frames. i might even do mine too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now