Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tooth Extracted, but still hurts?

(6 Posts)
ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 13-Aug-09 18:53:12

Why? hmm

Top back molar that had cracked sad sad and the dentist said there was absolutely nothing that could be done, nor could it have been prevented, so it was taken out this afternoon...

So why does the area still hurt?

ComeOVeneer Thu 13-Aug-09 18:57:11

Because the area is bruised. Basically you have has a mini operation. Think if you had had a mole removed, you would expect a certain amount of discomfort. Take arnica to reduce bruising, paracetamol 4 hourly and ibruprofen 4 hourly (stagered by 2 hours and make sure they are plain ie contain no other pain killing ingredients) and tomorrow rinse with hot salt water 3 times a day to keep area clean and clear from infection. Avoid extremes of temperature food/drink wise, don't smoke and try and chew on the other side to prevent anything getting stuck in there.

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 13-Aug-09 19:02:46

OMG -- that's exactly what my dentist said, but didn't say that it was a mini operation. Thanks, of course you are right. smile

Am thinking about an implant as my mouth feels a bit, lopsided. Dentist said to let it heal first and then we'll talk about it.

ihearthuckabees Thu 13-Aug-09 19:14:22

I had the same thing done, and it was quite uncomfortable for a good few days. Be patient, it will get better. If your tooth was cracked there may have been some infection in there too, as bacteria will have got in, so that may also cause a bit of pain (mine was chronically infected for 5 years!). Hope you feel better soon.

raindroprhyme Thu 13-Aug-09 21:07:28

i had a upper back tooth out 2 weeks ago.has only just stopped being tender if a absently mindedly chew with something there or catch it with toothbrush.

still feels lopsided

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 13-Aug-09 21:16:31

Are you thinking of an implant?

Feels like half my mouth is gone, which I'm sure isn't right hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now