Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what happens if your coil is left in for more than the recommended 4 years? Does it stop working and you might get pregnant?

(5 Posts)
hambler Thu 13-Aug-09 00:13:08

anyone know?
Must phone family planning clinic as I cant remember how long I have had my mirena in place

ideasplz Thu 13-Aug-09 00:21:30

i thought it was 5 years.
but better have checked from time to time if its in place or not.

hambler Thu 13-Aug-09 00:22:13

maybe it's 5 . So does it stop working and you might get pg?

Niecie Thu 13-Aug-09 00:27:33

It is 5 yrs. I had mine in for 5 yrs 7 mths and still didn't have any periods so I assume there wass life in it. You can also have it for longer than 5 yrs if you are over 40 - you can keep until the menopause. I also think, if I remember correctly, that it might be approved for 7 yrs in some countries.

I would imagine it still works as a coil even if periods returned and the hormones have all gone. But don't rely on that - it is just my opinion!!!

ideasplz Thu 13-Aug-09 01:08:42

its best to change them after 5 years thats what i know. for what reason they say it i dont know exactly. maybe somebody else can give more information about that, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now