Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ouch, horrid toothache : ( please tell me I'm not going to die.

(30 Posts)
FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 16:28:25

Sorry to whinge.

It's been hurting for a few days but thought it was another tooth, so when I went yesterday he didn't do anything, just gave me pills for the other one (which is coming out)

The other tooth has got really bad now - I can't touch it without it killing, can't eat, feel sick, the pills don't seem to be doing anything. I'm scared it's going to spread into my whole face or something...please tell me this is me being over dramatic, and it can wait till the emergency people open this evening...or tomorrow morning if necessary?

I'm sure half the battle is feeling so anxious. I hate having something that needs treating and I can't get it sorted iykwim sad

Also the tablets are nasty and I need to eat to take them - and I can't.

Boo hoo.

K999 Wed 12-Aug-09 16:46:21

You're not going to die!! Although it may feel like you are....there is nothing worse than toothache so you have my utmost sympathies....smile

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 16:53:29

Thanks...<weak smile>

Everything seems to be going wrong today!

K999 Wed 12-Aug-09 16:54:52

It probably just feels like that because you are in agony and its always harder to deal with things when you feel like that...smile

Pour yourself a glass of wine...grin

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 16:56:07

I can't! I'm on metronidazole!! <sobs>

Thanks though, you are a great comfort grin

mummyplonk Wed 12-Aug-09 16:57:57

oooh I feel for you, toothache is the worst, you just want to pull your whole head off to stop the throbbing.

If it gets really bad, I once was being sick/felt faint and was in more agony than childbirth (honestly) with an absys (sp?), I went to the local hospital at 2am to the drop in centre and they were really good and gave me some kind of really strong sedative/painkillers until the dentist opened in the morning. These really worked and completely knocked me out.Hope you feel better soon.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 17:10:19

Thanks, that's good to know! Swift blow to the head with a mallet might be welcome right now...actually no, it's intermittent, I mean it hurts all the time but the really bad bits aren't constant...so I think I can survive till this evening. I'm more concerned about getting it sorted - have heard horrible things about infection spreading to your brain etc. so not keen on that really.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 17:14:00

Plus I'm hungry sad

and my ear keeps hurting too. This is all a bit unnecessary I think.

2girls2love Thu 13-Aug-09 14:58:58

ooooh I feel your pain, am sat here with an icepack on my face as it hurts so much, and counting down the minutes til I can take more painkillers - haven't slept in 3 days. Mine is an abscess so on antibiotics same one as you I think and I'm longing for a really large glass of wine!

I think I'm at the mummyplonk where I do want to rip my head off - or maybe just pull the tooth out.... <goes off in search of pliers> ow ow bloody ow!

2girls2love Thu 13-Aug-09 15:00:11

also am absolutely starving - been on soup for two days. sad

FlightHattendant Thu 13-Aug-09 16:19:25

Oh poor poor thing sad
Have you had it treated yet, or are they waiting till it's calmed down a bit? I read that the a-b's don't actually fight the infection inside the tooth, just when it's gone beyond iyswim...so they have at some point got to drill it and put in a dressing inside the root. Once they do that it's bliss - had mine done last night, and feel almost human again if a bit zonked out.

Sorry you're still in the midst of it. sad

K999 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:21:49

Can you have that glass of wine yet?? grin

FlightHattendant Thu 13-Aug-09 16:50:12

Well I could stop the a/b's in theory but it still is sore so am going to carry on with them another day or two...just cut the course a bit short probably, the dentist said stop them if it's feeling better. But I don't want to risk it coming back - oddly he said it'd be Ok to take the rest if it flared up again hmm but still, anyway...

maybe next week, going to a party on 22nd so might have a glass then grin

2girls2love Thu 13-Aug-09 17:15:09

Really glad you're feeling better Flight, it really is the most awful pain (after childbirth of course!)

I've already had problems with this tooth, had root canal and all that malarky a few years ago. The only option I've got now is to have the tooth out and then pay £800 for a bridge!!!!

Just have to grin and bear it at the moment -not much grinning though sad

2girls2love Thu 13-Aug-09 17:17:08

Mind you, have lost 4 pounds so it's kickstarted the diet, clouds and silver linings and all that!

My lo's teething as well, makes you realise just how sore it must be for them.

FlightHattendant Thu 13-Aug-09 17:48:04

Oh blimey...yes this was one of my last without an existing root canal, it was always on the cards...

Has your dentist mentioned an apicectomy? They can refer you for a small op (awake) where they cut a little into the gum, and take off the end of the root. They do this when you've had a failed RCT, it doesn't always work but can save the tooth sometimes.

I was facing one with my front one (he thought it was that one the other day) but as I am a pessimist I have opted to have it out and a plate made (already got a couple of other gaps at the back, which they can apparently put onto the same one, brilliant! Here we come, super poligrip) grin

I really hope you are better soon. It's so horrid. I think being hungry makes it all seem so much worse, too.

2girls2love Fri 14-Aug-09 14:12:41

Problem now sorted Flight, had an emergency appointment at dentist this morning and they've pulled the bugger out. Xrays showed that really there was no option cos the infection was on a bit of bone as well so he had to cut some of that! It bloody hurt I can tell you, but at least its done now. Still not able to eat much but have bought some chocolate mousses cos I thought I deserved them, mind you the girls have spotted them, so don't know whether there will be any left.
Here's to both of us having that glass of wine v soon!

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 16:37:57

Oh golly, you POOR thing shock (tis me btw!)

I'm sorry it came to that but at least it's OUT now, that's best totally, it can start to ehal...well done, brave brave girl smile

Yes hide the mousses! Hide them in a packet that says 'medicine' on the outside, I think that will work xxxx

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 16:38:33

heal, sorry! Being attacked by ds2!!!

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 16:41:21

Oh this was yesterday, how are you today?

bellavita Sat 15-Aug-09 16:43:30

Get some CLOVE OIL from the pharmacy - costs about a £1. Dip a cotton bud into it and then roll over the painful area. It numbs the area, it does work, honestly, I have tried it.

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 18:01:52

Thanks Bella, I have actually got some in the closet...however, when I put it on my gum, it stung - and I found it says on the box don't let it touch the skin directly, which totally confused me!!! I must be missing something I think. Do you just apply it to the tooth?

Grandhighpoohba Sat 15-Aug-09 19:27:30

If it happens again, get a bottle of cheap whiskey, take a large swig and hold it in your mouth over the sore tooth for as long as you can. Then spit it out. (no problem with the antibiotics, you're using it as very strong mouthwash) Kills the pain. Its wonderful.

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 20:15:20

You mean, out whiskey in my mouth but NOT DRINK IT????

No, no, can't possibly mean that.

<wanders off, muttering in a confused manner>

Jumente Sat 15-Aug-09 20:16:09

Put! Put! Why is my P always an O?

<gives up and goes to find whiskey> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now