Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bladder infection & backache

(9 Posts)
auntyspan Tue 11-Aug-09 21:57:25

I have a bladder infection that started on Friday. I got antibiotics on Sunday - the burning sensation has gone, and the 'urgency' feeling has nearly gone, but I have very bad backache which started around the same time.

When do you think the backache will stop?

weegiemum Tue 11-Aug-09 21:59:27

Might be worth chatting to the doctor - backache could mean it has travelled up to your kidneys (am a frequent sufferer of such!)

Do you feel ill - temp/headache/shivery? Does it hurt to move? Is the backache on one side only?

Worth calling the GP for a phone chat.

auntyspan Tue 11-Aug-09 22:07:04

I thought that but I don't have a temperature and the backache is on both sides.... might be a coincidence and the backache is something else?

It is quite painful though so I might give the GP a ring... thanks weegiemum

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 11-Aug-09 22:08:41

Where is the backache? Does it hurt all the time or just when you move?

auntyspan Tue 11-Aug-09 22:16:13

It's low down, and it hurts all the time, it's like a dull ache. Wonder if it's cycle related?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 11-Aug-09 22:20:35

Hmm. When you had the UTI, did you have a pain that moved at all?

auntyspan Tue 11-Aug-09 22:27:21

No I don't think so. It started off as straight forward cysitis, but I did a long car journey on Friday and we got stuck in traffic - I think holding in my wee for so long made it worse, hence the UTI infection. The backache started on Saturday, but I don't remember it moving around.

weegiemum Tue 11-Aug-09 22:32:58

Long periods of sitting can cack up your kidney function if you already have a UTI (so said my GP 4 years ago)!

Hope you feel better soon.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 11-Aug-09 22:38:42

I'm assuming you were given trimethoprim? It's probable that your ureters are a little inflammed if they have had wee backed up there (if you know what I mean), you'll be sore for a little while. I would be tempted to pop back to the GP if it doesn't settle in a couple of days and ask about an IVU, which is a series of x-rays which will show up any stretching of the ureters. Ibuprofen should help reduce any inflammation, make sure you have plenty to drink and make sure you go to the loo when you need to and don't make yourself wait.

I'm not a doctor though so do pop and see your GP if you are worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now