Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period every 20 days

(19 Posts)
macherie Tue 11-Aug-09 15:24:16

For about the last 5 cycles I have been getting my period every 20 days and I am fed up with it. I get really bad PMT for about 4 days before, very heavy bleeding for about 2 days, then it drags on for another 4-5 days, less than 2 weeks to recover and it starts again.

I am very reluctant to go on the pill, as I have had an eating disorder in the past and anything that might even possibly lead me to put on weight is out.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks smile

macherie Tue 11-Aug-09 20:38:39

Is it just me then?

IDreamOfJeannie Tue 11-Aug-09 20:50:38

You need to see your GP. I don't think periods this close together are normal, but I'm not sure. Also if you are bleeding heavily and this regularly you may become anaemic.

How far apart are they normally, before they changed?

macherie Tue 11-Aug-09 20:56:12

they used to be in or around the 28 day mark then gradually shortened to 20ish days.

I'm fairly sure I'm anaemic but find iron impossible to tolerate, it makes me nauseous and constipated and leads to irritable bowel.

I eat a lot of greens and a reasonable amount of red meat to try and increase my iron.

I assumed GP would just suggest the pill to regulate my cycle.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 12-Aug-09 00:14:42

GP should refer you to a gynae for further evaluation. Bleeding like this should be further investigated.

This could be caused by fibroids; it is certainly in your interests to find the underlying cause rather than just trying to treat the symptoms.

macherie Wed 12-Aug-09 15:11:13

Thanks for that, I'd better make an appointment.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 12-Aug-09 15:13:40

Re the iron - apricots are supposed to be good for this, and sublingual (under the tongue) B12 is good for energy levels. HTH - and good luck.

FlightHattendant Wed 12-Aug-09 15:16:29

Mine used always to be about 25 days. It is a real pain isn't it - every 20 days is pushing it!! smile

I'd second seeing someone about it and getting some investigation done. They might be able to sort it out.

Good luck x

geekgirl Wed 12-Aug-09 15:18:54

I had this too - eventually I had my period every 2 weeks hmm so went to see my GP. She was totally unbothered and offered me the pill, which I didn't want.
It did get better on it's own eventually - it seems to vary from 21-28 days now.
Just be warned that your GP might be as unbothered as mine...

macherie Wed 12-Aug-09 20:55:57

Will try apricots and B12, thanks for those suggestions.

My GP is lovely, but from googling there doesn't seem to be a lot of treatment apart from the pill, which I really don't want.

Will ask her about fibroids, but again unless they are v serious there is no treatment.

It has a real impact on my life in that I know I will feel terrible for that one week in 3 and so have to plan accordingly, particularly during term time which involves loads for driving for me. I hate driving a carload of children when I feel so exhausted, doesn't feel safe.

OK, must make GP appointment - thanks for that!

Anyone else living with this?

twinmam Wed 12-Aug-09 21:09:56

Similar Macherie. When I first started my periods they were dreadful but the pill seemed to regulate it and even when I came off it in my twenties I was fine. However ever since I had my DDs they have been awful, bad PMT, a shortening cycle, painful both before and during and extremely heavy for the first two days. I find myself trying to arrange my life around it, like you. Also like you I'm reluctant to go on the pill. I get migraines and apparently this combined with the pill can increase the risk of stroke. I was on the DP injection for a few years but this caused me to put on loads of weight and really don't want that to happen. No useful advice but can def sympathise and empathise. Am also thinking of going to GP but not really sure if there's anything they can do.

yummyspottyblueberry Wed 12-Aug-09 21:14:07

When I came off the injection and ttc'd DC1 my periods settled into a 21 day cycle. Nothing wrong, I just Ovulated early day 6/7 and had a 14 day luteal phase.

It was very handing when an impatient ttc'er smile

yummyspottyblueberry Wed 12-Aug-09 21:14:59

handy

Feenie Wed 12-Aug-09 21:17:27

I am similar - dreadful periods in my teens, used the Pill for years, then Depo. Had ds but haven't managed to lose baby weight so didn't want to use Depo/pill again. Periods were every 26 days, then 21, and are now 17 days - so I have 8 days on and 9 days off. sad

Have been to two GPs, neither were terribly helpful. They have suggested the Mirena coil, but I have insisted on wanting to find a cause for it before they try to mask the symptoms - last GP agreed to an internal exam and possibly a scan, but need to wait until I am not having a period to have the former (tricky) and have been on holiday. Due on AGAIN, so am waiting till it is over before going back to GP. All very vague and frustrating.

twinmam Wed 12-Aug-09 21:43:25

Poor you Feenie - that sounds dreadful

macherie Wed 12-Aug-09 21:50:48

Yummy, there's always an brightside! Glad that work in your favour smile

Twinmam, awful to have frequent periods and migranes, dh has migranes and they are dreadful.

Feenie, 17 days, poor you, really that's awful, you are right to insist on a proper diagnosis, that must have a huge impact on your life. I'd love to hear how you get on.

Feenie Wed 12-Aug-09 21:58:01

Thanks, both of you. It's crap!

twinmam Wed 12-Aug-09 22:03:57

Thanks macherie. Actually haven't had a migraine for ages so am kind of hoping I've grown out of them smile

mumof2222222222222222boys Wed 12-Aug-09 22:26:53

I was about 21 days - and did go on the pill. For me it works really well.

I feel so sorry for all of you with the awful problems above - do hope you get some solutions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now