Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else allergic to the sun - rash help needed please

(18 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 20:22:05

I have sun allergy so am normally really careful. 4 hours on a mostly cloudy day out in the park last week has now left me with a rash on both arms. It is worse than I have ever had before and has actually got lots and lots of tiny blisters, as well as being red, hot to touch and insanely itchy.

I have tried Lanacane on it, taking antihistimines and just putting ice on it for relief. None of that has worked really.

Anyone else get this and can tell me how to relive it? 3 days of it is driving me to distraction.

LittleB Mon 10-Aug-09 20:30:25

I get this but only slightly, just the first sun of the year. I use aloe vera gel, which is lovely and cooling. Might be worth a try.

ThingOne Mon 10-Aug-09 20:51:49

It's vile, isn't it? I used to find mine was so bad I couldn't sleep. And it did take a long time to go, I'm afraid.

I take a daily antihistamine all year round now and it does help reduce the rash.

If I get it I take piriton, as the older style of AHs, which make you drowsy, are more effective.

I never, ever scratch it.

I use E45 itch cream, and there are several similar things.

In the past I've had some relief from calamine or caladryl but they are a bit messy.

A friend has recently suggested using aloe vera on it but I've not used it myself yet. I just break off a leaf from my plant and smear the gel on straight from the source, rather than pay for a bought gel, when I use it for burns.

My only other answer, which is no good for this time, is to keep covered up. My affected part is the upper part of my chest so I try to keep it covered all summer.

Tommy Mon 10-Aug-09 20:54:16

you can get calamine in a cream now - much easier to apply and I find that very useful for a similar rash

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 20:56:31

I just checked the bathroom, no aloe gel. We used to have some, but it must have run out. I am currently sitting with a ziplock bag full of iced water on my arm for some relief. I will definately buy either aloe or calamine tomorow.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 10-Aug-09 21:03:34

I have this IlanaK. Horrid isn't it? What antihistamine do you use? I find that over the counter ones don't really do it for me, I have one on prescription called Telfast 180.

IlanaK Mon 10-Aug-09 21:06:41

ceterizine somtething or other. I am still breastfeeding and it is the one least likely to be a problem.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 11-Aug-09 13:25:14

Ah yes - a bit restricted then. Hope it's a little better today.

My allergy has always been much worse when I'm unusually hormonal eg pregnant. When I was pg with dd I developed a allergic reaction to the cold too. Now I'm approaching the menopause I'm hopeful of see the back of both of them.

fairyfriends Tue 11-Aug-09 13:32:49

I don't know if this is similar, but during the last 4-5 years I've been prone to a itchy rash (mainly arms). I'm not fair skinned and don't burn, just the rash.

If I'm likely to be out quite a bit (holiday or similar) I tend to pack Piriton anti-allery tablets and for me, they really seem to work and control the problem (just a light rash, but no discomfort).

After a few days, it eases off completely.smile

IlanaK Tue 11-Aug-09 15:40:10

fairyfriends - mine started like that years ago and has got worse each year. This is the worst yet with actual blistering. I bought some aloe gel today and am slaping it on.

macherie Tue 11-Aug-09 15:42:09

Have you tried Eurax cream, it really eases the itching for me.

ThingOne Tue 11-Aug-09 20:56:31

Hope the aloe vera is helping.

Cetirizine is my daily drug. It has clearly subdued my rashes but once they are there it does nothing. How old is your baby? It might well be fine to take three or four tabs a day for three or four days.

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Antihistamines_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf This link suggests it is probably OK for short term use. Piriton is Chlorpheniramine but there are other AHs listed on that form which clearly act in the same way.

IlanaK Tue 11-Aug-09 21:15:07

The aloe is really helping as is sitting under a ceiling fan on high. The rash is less hot and itchy tonight and the blisters are drying out a little. Looks like I am on the mend. I have some good allergy suncream that I think I will have to put on daily on my arms just in case I think.

mears Tue 11-Aug-09 21:20:48

I used to suffer from this. Wore cotton cardigans in the sun. Suncream seemed to amke it worse. Suddenly it stopped in my 20's - don't know why. Eurax can provide good relief. Avoiding exposure is best though. Hope it stops like mine did.

ingles2 Tue 11-Aug-09 21:29:35

hi I have this as well.. I use a combination of piriton, calamine lotion and aloe vera gel. I also cover up and layer on the Piz Buin anti allergy sunblock.
Keep going with the aloe vera, it made a huge difference to me last year. I also mainly suffer on my upper chest, so if I'm wearing a vest I'll always wear some sort of scarf.
It is miserable though, I can never wear what I want in the summer

IlanaK Tue 11-Aug-09 21:31:16

I can't see it stopping. It has been getting progressively worse each year and I am 37 now!

I think long sleeves might be the answer in the end, but I got so over heated very easily so don't like the idea of long sleeves.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 12-Aug-09 18:48:11

It seems that Telfast is probably OK for bf Ilana. Maybe worth changing especially as it's worse year on year. It is best to take it before exposure though so you need to check the (unpredictable) forecast.

My GP also mentioned a the possibility of taking Vit A/beta carotene. I didn't fancy turning orange though as I think you would have to take rather large amonuts and that can be a side effect!

PortAndLemon Wed 12-Aug-09 18:50:05

Nothing much seems to help other than time once the rash is there.

I recommend Piz Buin Allergy sunscreen as the best one to avoid the rash in the first place, though -- someone on here recommended it a couple of years ago and it is indeed fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now