Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Physical issues post-rape -- please help

(8 Posts)
laylajane Mon 10-Aug-09 19:09:58

I am getting into some counselling for the emotional stuff. Thank you to those who have talked to me for all the help I have received about this.

I am still itchy and sore across my whole vulva. GUM said there is nothing to be worried about. Is this normal? Is it psychological? I used to be quite liberated, I suppose, sexually, and now I am sore, and unable to deal with anything, even thoughts, down there. My clothes feel uncomfortable and there is a lot of soreness. I have treated myself for thrush and even the cream was painful to put on especially on my clitoris. Being examined in GUM was terrible.

I feel sick. I can't eat properly. I don't know what to do about this all... is that psychological too - how do they know that? and when does it stop?

notyummy Mon 10-Aug-09 19:23:12

Have the GUM cleared you of any possible physical symptoms?

If they have, then it could be psychological - and no wonder.

I am entirely unqualified to comment, but would have thought that some of the things manifesting themselves physically are unlikely to go away until you start to be able heal mentally and relax. Could you deal with massages to start gentle touch?

laylajane Mon 10-Aug-09 19:28:14

GUM swabbed everywhere like they do - seemed thorough, and kind enough too, and no bugs or anything. Just " a bit inflamed" whatever that means.

It hurts a lot though. I am not really sure what to do next physically - waiting and seeing sounds a bit painful. Thank you for replying.

jetcat32 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:45:29

I have sadly been exactly where you are layla - and my experience was that time was the only healer - corny as that sounds. The soreness does go, and again, from my experience, was purely psychological.

It is really tough to talk about, so forgive me if i dont go into details, but i wanted to post to let you know that it does get better xx

KnickKnack Mon 10-Aug-09 19:54:23

It might be worth trying a course of probiotics (good bacteria) to help with itch/thrush like symptoms/soreness). I would get a really good brand like Solgar or Udo's from a Health Shop and take 2 per day.

No idea about the rest, sorry, although in general I believe that the physical symptoms can be made worse when stressed etc.

SpawnChorus Mon 10-Aug-09 20:03:15

Are you still using the thrush cream? I only ask as I had a reaction to the cream (soreness and itchiness) which I confused with the original thrush problem. Apparently it's quite common (although the GP I saw had never heard of it hmm).

Very sorry to hear you've been through this. Wishing you a swift recovery.

littleducks Mon 10-Aug-09 20:11:19

So sorry you are going through this

Have you considered any of the remedies suggested to post natal women to ease the immediate discomfort? Like putting a sanitary towel in the freezer then your pants/drops of something (im thinking bicarb but sounds odd so double check) in the bath?

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 09:00:29

Sorry you have suffered this experience.
Did they do any blood tests? Could there be an allergic reaction you are missing? Did you diagnose the thrush or was it a doctor? I think I am repeating Notyummy's questions here. Be good to yourself. Grieve the loss of your former carefree self -- although that may well come back. Don't be impatient with yourself about recovery. It will happen when it happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now