Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I use a digital thermometer?

(12 Posts)
BitOfFun Mon 10-Aug-09 17:17:23

My mum bought us one like this, but it has got no instructions. I've never used one, digital or otherwise and haven't a clue.

Mouth, underarm, ear or up th bum?

For how long?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:19:48

Not up the bum!!

For a baby/toddler under the arm, right into the armpit and hold the arm down, it will beep/stop changing when cooked. For an adult, under the tongue. Have a play with it.

These ones are a tad unreliable though and can be 1-1.5 degrees out. Your best bet is one that goes into the ear.

LovingTheRain Mon 10-Aug-09 17:20:48

With my one, you press the button on and then put it under ( a dry) armpit. ( not over clothes, on the bare skin). Leave there for a couple of minutes, until it beeps. Then it will give you your reading. it can also go under the tongue but have never tried that!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:20:56

www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-4520-Thermoscan-Thermometer-66022780/dp/B0001D0LMS we have this, it's very good.

LovingTheRain Mon 10-Aug-09 17:22:03

What fluffy said BoF! Mine usually gives a different, higher reading to the in the ear I use for the DCs.

BitOfFun Mon 10-Aug-09 17:24:35

Thanks everyone <John Wayne walk> grin

Hmm, I have tried it under my arm, 36.5

Under my tongue, 35.1

Under my arm again 36.7

All in the last few minutes? Odd

Shall I try the bum, just for comparison? <bored>

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:27:02

eww!! 36.5 is the lower end of normal.

BitOfFun Mon 10-Aug-09 17:28:50

36.6 in my ear...

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:29:49

You're really not supposto stick it in your ear or up your bum.

BitOfFun Mon 10-Aug-09 17:33:25

Down the front of my pants (no holes involved) is 37.2. My hottest part grin

I'm not going to be able to use this on the kids now, am I?

PerfectPrefect Mon 10-Aug-09 17:34:44

Bit of Fun

With that thermometer the only way to measure core body temp is up the bum...which you shouldn't actually do with that style.

Best use of that style of thermometer is in the armpit, and then add 0.5C (for armpit).

TBH the truely best way is to take a few measurements in whichever orrifice you chose over a few days and use that as a baseline. Doesn't matter if they are all different. You just neeed to know when it changes IYSWIM.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:35:19

Erm... probably not. It should be fine with a wash though (not meaning your fanj is dirty or anything blush)

Best get an ear one. They do often vary depending on which ear you put it in so it's better to use the same ear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now