Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Head lice and nits - am new at this and horrified

(10 Posts)
saramoon Mon 10-Aug-09 17:06:48

Please give me some advice. DD - 4 - has been sratching her head on and off for days. Didn't think anything of it, she hasn't been in nursery for weeks and the only contact she has had with other children is half an hour in a soft ball place the other day. Last night, as we were reading stories and she was itching again i took a look and found lots of eggs and - LICE - in her hair. All new to me, never had them as a kid and i was just shocked at things moving in her hair.
So chemist last nite, put stuff on her hair - and her sister's but amazingly she doesn't seem to have them - and then DH checks my hair and i have them too!!!!!!!!
Back to chemist to get lotion. This morning we have a good comb through and get rid of lots of lice but we both seem to have eggs there still. I have conditioned our hair and combed again and it seems a little better but why are the eggs still there? Do i have to do this for a few days? I feel loopy at the moment and feel like i should be washing everything although i know this is just mad behaviour. HELP me feel BETTER please

Scorps Mon 10-Aug-09 17:07:49

just keep conditioning and combing

It is sadly a normal part of life with children, icky though it is!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 17:10:21

The combs don't get rid of the eggs, especially if your child has very fine hair, they are stuck with a type of cement that the little bastards use when they lay them. The lotion would have killed them though. Combs just remove the lice. Your best bet is to pick them out. Wash pillow cases and sheets.

Tea tree shampoo is supposto deter them.

stonethecrows Mon 10-Aug-09 17:58:53

Sympathise with you - I also never had it as a child and then caught the littel buggers from my kids. Had never seen them before until I scratched my head one day and actually had a nit in my hand...yuck blush

They do go though, lots of cream, lots of combing, took me a couple of weeks to get them of all our heads!

stuffitlllama Mon 10-Aug-09 18:01:16

Conditioner and combing every three days, you get the nits when the eggs hatch.

I go with preventative combing too, they are pernicious little sods.

ps you are not a bad mother because your children have nits ..as true as the day is long

saramoon Mon 10-Aug-09 21:28:42

Thankyou all, much needed advice. I have conditioned dds hair tonight and combed and can't find any more lice, conditioned my hair and found 2 more lice. Feel better than i did earlier and will continue with the de-liceing and de-egging. It has opened my eyes smile

4andnotout Mon 10-Aug-09 21:30:30

I use a nitty gritty comb and it is fantastic, much better than the cheap plastic ones.

floaty Mon 10-Aug-09 21:33:39

Second the nitty gritty comeb and tea tree shampoo.also Australian leave in rescue remedy is very good at detering them

MuppetsMuggle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:40:17

I use the nitty gritty comb and asda tea tree shampoo & conditioner and is fabulous, gets eggs out aswell as lice.

I was horrified when DD caught them, but seemed to be able to get rid of them fast enough due to the comb and the fact she is bathed everynight so knows her hair is combed through straight after her bath and just before bedtime.

saramoon Tue 11-Aug-09 10:13:41

Nitty gritty comb - off into town now, am guessing i can get it in Boots. And tea tree oil shampoo, done. Thanks again for advice, it really is appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now