Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are migraines a new and interesting symptom of PMS?

(13 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Aug-09 13:35:12

..or is it pure co-incidence that in addition to being a homicidal maniac a tad emotional this weekend I have been feeling like someone is trying to drill a hole in my forehead?

I have had a Mirena coil in for ~2 years now so I only get very slight spotting and have lost track of my cycle, but homicidal tendencies combined with some 'discharge' this morning makes me think it is that time of the month. Can I 'look forward' to monthly migranes from now on, do you think?

FlyMeToDunoon Mon 10-Aug-09 13:51:31

I get period related migraines. Sometimes before, sometimes during but mostly just after. Doctor confirms this is common. Fab isn't it.

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Aug-09 13:53:19

Oh good hmm. I think I might hold off sharing that titbit with DH.

FlyMeToDunoon Mon 10-Aug-09 14:02:15

You may need his sympathy and cooperation. Plus a supply of nurofen.
It took DP a while to take me seriously when I said 'No I can't get up and cook the dinner. I have a MIGRAINE'
That translates into manspeak for 'just a twinge sweetheart, I'll be down to make steaks pronto'

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Aug-09 14:03:47

Nurofen had no effect at all yesterday sad. Paracetemol and Codeine finally subdued it.

foxinsocks Mon 10-Aug-09 14:05:51

I got mine taken out (mirena). It gave me migraines and I had never so much as even had a headache in my life before.

Worst of all, now that it's been taken out, they still come every month grrrr.

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Aug-09 14:13:20

It can't be the mirena when I've had it for 2 years with no problems, can it?!

foxinsocks Mon 10-Aug-09 14:14:34

probably not, just age innit wink

<hobbles on stick>

but seriously, those migraines are just horrendous aren't they. Nothing touch mine. They drive me insane when I get them.

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Aug-09 14:20:33

Grrr. I may be forced to keep slightly better track of my cycle if this is going to be a regular occurence.

bootygirl Tue 11-Aug-09 21:56:18

I get migraines and also come with ovulation and period usually after ie last day...

feedthegoat Tue 11-Aug-09 22:01:44

I get a migraine without fail every month either 1 or 2 days after my period finishes. I've not got a mirena and don't take the pill so mine can't be blamed on anything else sadly!

auntyspan Tue 11-Aug-09 22:03:08

I get a migrane when I ovulate. Pain the bum other than when I was TTC!

Bucharest Thu 13-Aug-09 09:43:44

I started to get mid cycle or PMS-time migraines only after having dd (I was 38)
Great aren't they? They were monthly- but now I take a sumatryptan as soon as they start, they seem to have diminished- I get bad ones just 3 or 4 times a year now...
Keep lucozade tabs handy as well- apparently they can be triggered by low blood sugar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now