Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you take vitamins, where do you buy them from?

(19 Posts)
Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 11:25:59

I need to start taking some supplements (and poss also order some omega oils for the dcs) but the first company I looked at, the vitamins had extra ingredients like aspartame which would prefer to avoid.

So can any MNers recommend somewhere reputable, preferably online?

Seona1973 Mon 10-Aug-09 12:45:01

dh gets his through Holland and Barrett

margobambino Mon 10-Aug-09 13:06:10

I sometimes use this one for my DS as it seems more natural than others;
eskimo
For yourself I would recommend floradix or biocare. Google them and you will find a few online stores selling them.

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 21:06:05

Thank you both smile, especially for the online ones Margobambino, I hadn't heard of any of them before - off to browse now.

Ponders Mon 10-Aug-09 21:11:09

I take (not every day) multivits with iron, evening primrose/cod liver oil, Omega 3-6-9 & Vit C.

I used to get them all from Boots but they seem to have stopped doing the big bottles at ½ price or 3 for 2. I currently have Omega 3-6-9 from Tesco (I think) but they don't have as much in. Vit C 500mg you can get from almost anywhere at reasonable prices, eg Superdrug or Asda; ditto evening primrose/cod liver oil.

I will just go & look at the labels & see what is & isn't included...

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 21:12:57

Local health kind of shop. I would recommend over boots/Holland Barrett etc.

They will talk with you about what you want need etc and help advise you. Once you are on a regime you can maybe buy online cheaper

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 21:13:40

Sorry that sounds horrible. I don't go and get their advice and then buy online, but you could do if there was a huge price difference lol

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 21:14:50

That's really helpful Ponders, thank you, as I need to take cod liver oil & evening primrose and poss also B6.

The omega oils are for the children preferably in capsule form, but I can't believe how many of them list aspartame as one of the ingredients; it's seems bizarre.

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 21:16:10

I take EVERYDAY:

Pregnancy vit usually a multivitamin when not preg)

Spoonfull of kiki superfood in some water

Omega 3 and 6 fish oils (sometimes not if I have eaten quite a bit of fish that week)

OCCASIONALLY:

Liquid B vits in water if feeling depressed/anxious

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 21:16:57

You need to try and get them in a bioavailable form if possible

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 21:34:01

You're speaking to a complete novice here smile, what's 'bioavailable form' Sherby?

Ponders Mon 10-Aug-09 21:37:49

OK, atm my evening primrose/cod liver oil capsules are from Boots, expiry Aug 09 (I told you I don't take them every day grin) - they have 500mg of both plus extra Vitamin A, D & E & a few other bits (but no aspartame)

Actually the A,D & E thing is a bit of a bugger, because when you take multi-vits they already have 100% of those & then the extra supplements have more hmm & they are all oil-based which means the body stores them, unlike Vit C which is water-based & flushes out.

Tesco omega 3-6-9 also includes linseed oil, sesame oil, rice bran oil, evening primrose (again), sunflower seed oil, soya lecithin & rosemary oil. The 3-6-9 are 263mg, 128mg & 26mg respectively. No aspartame.

I also have in the cupboard Tesco evening primrose (no cod liver oil) which just has 500mg evening primrose plus 10mg Vit E.

I think Tesco (a big store) would be a good place to look smile

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 21:55:39

Wow, thank you Ponders for such a comprehensive reply, that's really useful information.

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 22:03:36

bioavailablility is how much of the vitamin your body can use

when they are bound to amino acids and enzymens the bio avalibility goes right up

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 22:17:48

I've never heard of this before! I've been doing some reading tonight on the t'internet (thanks to all the helpful links) and never come across this phrase, so I take it this bioavailability doesn't apply to all vitamins available on the market? I don't suppose you happen to know of a company that sells vitamins in bio-available form?

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 22:21:37

I use biocare

'readily available form' is the same thing as bio available afaik

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 22:22:57

this is the one my DH takes but his diet is rubbish

Heated Mon 10-Aug-09 22:31:59

So liquid, then? Does putting it in capsule form inhibit effectiveness?

Reminds me of the days of yore when they were made of sterner stuff and lined up for cod liver oil after breakfast. Hmm, ok I'm partially convinced. I guess it will have a shorter shelf life and be a bit more expensive this way. Will have another look at Biocare, thanks Sherby.

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 22:35:45

his are capsules, but some like my VitBs are in liquid form

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now