Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cant sleep at night, been going on for weeks and im so tired.

(2 Posts)
npg1 Mon 10-Aug-09 10:48:47

This has been going on for a couple of months, maybe more. I am on AD's, been taking them for about 3 weeks but this was happening before.

I wake up at the slightest noise, we have a dog who lives outside down our lane and it woke me up barking 4 times sat night. Last night I was so tired and thought I would sleep well but didnt. It takes me ages to fall asleep and I wake up loads and then wake up at 5am ish and cant get to sleep for another couple hours. Then I end up sleeping in until 9am and cant get up.

Thinking of taking some kind of sleeping tablet tonight as had enough, I even dread going to bed now.

enprovence Mon 10-Aug-09 13:55:37

Some tips as I have had bouts of insomnia and then can't function the next day - with children this is impossible - so I have tried to do all I can to help me relax.

- always air your bedroom half an hour before you get into bed.

- read in bed for 20 minutes or so, anything - a book, magazine.

-make sure you have a really good mattress, pure cotton bedding,

-make sure there is not too much light coming in once you have turned your lamp off.

- I have a glass or 2 of red wine in the evening with my meal, this relaxes me, too much wine would make me wake up dehydrated.

-get plenty of fresh air, not necessarily exercise, just a walk to the shops, to post a letter can make you feel better.

-if you wake up, have some warm milk and read for a bit, don't lie there getting axious that you can't fall asleep again.

-on rare occasions I take a swig of piriton, an antihistamine for children, and this always, always works, but can leave me a little drowsy in the morning.

-make sure your pyjamas are loose and light.

Hope some of these tips help.
I have no taken AD so can't advise on if these might be adding to sleep problems but you said this happened even before you took the AD so maybe you have some stress or worry in your life that is stopping you from relaxing at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now