Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

contraceptive implant.

(10 Posts)
starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 08:51:41

does anyone no if the implant messes your periods up?

ive only had the implant in 3weeks but seem to have come on my period over a week early and the cramps are awful. no to mention all the spots this had been causing since having it fitted argh!

was told for the first couple o months id just see a bit of spotting not enough to have to use pads etc and then my periods would dissapear completely.

starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 09:02:20

Seona1973 Mon 10-Aug-09 12:46:04

my sister had almost constant bleeding with the implant and got it removed

starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 13:03:57

hmm ive had a nosey around and it seems a lot of people have bleeding.

nellynaemates Mon 10-Aug-09 13:05:34

I've had the implant for about 18 months-ish now.

I hated it for the first wee while, I seemed to get period every couple of weeks and often bled for much longer than a normal period.

It got gradually better but I still wasn't happy and started taking the pill to try and sort my periods out. Had normal periods while on it and now hoping that it's reset things.

I think if I were you I'd stick it out a few months and see how it goes, chances are it'll get a lot better and if not then the pill might work for you too.

For someone as forgetful as me the convenience is really worth it. Also, your fertility apparently comes back very quickly after it's removed so I'm told, so if you're planning on having more kids (as I am) I think it's supposed to be quite a good option.

starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 13:17:19

yes think ill stick it out longer i too am really bad at remembering to take the tablet form.

annieshaf Mon 10-Aug-09 13:25:32

I have an implant. was told that periods would be unpredictable for about 3 months and should then have no bleeding and to get in touch if I did. They were right was a bit annoying at first but it did settle down and have no problems now.

A-M

starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 13:50:31

ahh i see so its quite normal for my period to be a bit messed up then?

floatyjosmum Mon 10-Aug-09 13:56:27

i had mine fitted in june 05 and things were okish to start off with but then after about a year i would get the most awful discharge before my period was due and started loosing clots etc - was not pleasant.
had it in for the three years and as soon as it was taken out everything went back to normal.

def wont be having another one

starynight Mon 10-Aug-09 14:33:03

there seems to be a lot of people having them out. i would not have had it in if id known id be bleeding like this was told a few spots is all id have and im on a proper period with the most painful cramps ive ever felt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now