Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please advise, something strange just happened to my DH and im worried.

(25 Posts)
loopylou6 Sun 09-Aug-09 23:05:25

We had a friend here about an hour ago and all of a sudden DH said he needed the toilet and left the room quite abruptly.

He came back bout 20 mins later, and said he had just passed out. He said when he was sitting with us he suddenly felt very unwell his concentration went and he felt bad pounding heart etc, when he left the room he stumbled up the stairs, he said he felt like he was very very drunk, he knew he needed to lie down so tried to make his way into the bedroom, he then knocked his chin on the wall and passed out, poor DS witnessed this and told him he was out for about 2 mins.

Hes never had this happen to him before and is otherwise very fit and healthy, infact he has just undergone lots of blood tests for a tummy problem and nothing was found.

I feel very worried and am hoping someone can shed some light.

He said he felt ok when he came round tho, now he feels a bit weak and shaky.

hester Sun 09-Aug-09 23:07:24

I would ring NHS Direct.

choosyfloosy Sun 09-Aug-09 23:10:22

I would ring your GP's out-of-hours service (i.e. ring your normal surgery number which will either put you straight through or give you another out-of-hours number to ring).

MamaG Sun 09-Aug-09 23:10:32

You must ring NHS direct that sounds horrid

MsHighwater Sun 09-Aug-09 23:11:18

I agree with hester. There are all sorts of relatively minor things that could cause this but anything causing a loss of consciousness should be checked out.

Yurtgirl Sun 09-Aug-09 23:12:21

How scary
I would phone nhs direct too

franklymydear Sun 09-Aug-09 23:15:37

You should check it out but it sounds like a faint to me. Probably due to feeling ill he has had a sudden drop in blood pressure

vasovagal episode might be more palatable for him though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_episode

loopylou6 Sun 09-Aug-09 23:16:45

ty everyone we dont have use of a phoneline at the mo, its down

loopylou6 Sun 09-Aug-09 23:18:15

do u think the knock he took to his chin might of knocked him out? he says his really hurts and thats the last thing he remebers

letsgostrawberrypicking Sun 09-Aug-09 23:18:51

Has he been abroad recently?

GypsyMoth Sun 09-Aug-09 23:21:10

use a mobile,your friends mobile,o ask a neighbour for use of phone line.

hester Sun 09-Aug-09 23:21:53

I'm a great fainter, and I reckon two minutes is a very long faint. If he banged his chin badly enough to knock him out, that probably needs checking out. So yes, I would get further advice. Is is possible to contact NHS Direct online?

hellymelly Sun 09-Aug-09 23:23:25

I would go to A and E if possible, or try to get a GP out,as it sounds like the sort of thing that should be checked asap.

Yurtgirl Sun 09-Aug-09 23:30:50

He felt awful before he bumped his chin though didnt he?
Call NHS direct from a mobile or out of hours gp
They will call you back on the mobile

Failing that find a friend or neighbour and borrow their phone

It is late but I would be happy to help a neighbour in need in these circumstances

I hope you find out that he is okay

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 09-Aug-09 23:36:08

Def ring OOH gp, rather than Nhs direct - they will refer to OOH gp for this so save yourself going round the houses...Or go to hospital if he gets ill again before you speak to someone.

Agree it sounds like vasovagal but a check over is a great idea.

Yurtgirl Sun 09-Aug-09 23:38:33

vasovagal link

bloss Mon 10-Aug-09 01:02:11

Message withdrawn

loopylou6 Mon 10-Aug-09 01:43:33

hi everyone, hes refused to speak to anyone medical, insists he feels fine now hmm i will be keeping a very close eye on him, im to scared to sleep, wanna watch over him all night lol

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 10-Aug-09 01:46:39

This could be a number of things, a cardiac problem (where his heart beat was too fast), a bp problem etc. He does need to see his GP, it's not really fair that you should worry though. Pack him off to the GP, whether he likes it or not.

lowrib Mon 10-Aug-09 01:55:03

Sorry to worry you but this really should be taken seriously. It may well be nothing but he MUST get checked out. Can you speak to NHS direct anyway to get advice?

Can you rule out a mini stroke?

EachPeachPearMum Mon 10-Aug-09 07:35:58

Had he taken any medication? sounds like my DH's reaction to codeine which he is allergic to... just wondering if te tummy problem had been giving him pain...

TitsalinaBumsquash Mon 10-Aug-09 07:57:24

EachPeachPearMum - The same happens to me when i take anything stronger than Paracetamol, especially Codine - evil stuff!

I hope your DH will come round to talking to the GP is something that does need to be checked.

FloraT Mon 10-Aug-09 20:29:35

Even if he's feeling fine now, the sensible thing would be for him to make an appointment to see his GP and tell him what happened. I'd want to know what might have caused this as it's a pretty extreme thing to have happened.

saintmaybe Mon 10-Aug-09 20:34:21

Heart attacks can feel like needing a poo, REALLY.

Lots of people die in the loo for that reason, I'd ring NHS direct NOW

fartmeistergeneral Mon 10-Aug-09 20:37:46

Can I just say that the exact same thing happened to me about 6 months ago? For no reason I just suddenly felt ill got up, felt quite drunk, then passed out. Didn't do anything about it. Hmm... perhaps I should have...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now