Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bit of glass stuck in foot - What can i do?

(21 Posts)
mummytopebs Sun 09-Aug-09 20:18:59

Shread of glass got stuck in my heel on Friday, i tried to get it out with tweezers but couldnt. Now the skin has grown over the glass and i cant get to it all and it is really sore, i have been limping around all day and if i put my heel down shooting pain where the glass is. If i leave it will it absorb or something or do yu think its a doctor trip (I hate people touching my feet and if they have to slit me heel, well thats making me feel funny just thinking about it)

PortAndLemon Sun 09-Aug-09 20:22:40

I'd go to the doctor, sorry.

fishie Sun 09-Aug-09 20:24:54

soak foot in water so it goes wrinkly, see whether you can get it out.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Aug-09 20:25:47

yes, it is a doctor's trip or you are going to get an infection. it won't absorb.

they will give you an injection to numb your foot first.

you won't feel them digging in to get the glass out.

either ring NHSDirect and get an out-of-hours appointment tonight or ring your GP in the morning and tell them it's an emergency, because you really need to get it out asap.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Aug-09 20:25:48

yes, it is a doctor's trip or you are going to get an infection. it won't absorb.

they will give you an injection to numb your foot first.

you won't feel them digging in to get the glass out.

either ring NHSDirect and get an out-of-hours appointment tonight or ring your GP in the morning and tell them it's an emergency, because you really need to get it out asap.

Katymac Sun 09-Aug-09 20:26:13

TBH I think it is a casualty job - unless your GP is set up for minor surgery type stuff.

I am prepared to be wrong but I think it is for A&E

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 09-Aug-09 20:27:47

I'd be off to a+e if it was me - should be pretty quiet on a sunday night too

shootfromthehip Sun 09-Aug-09 20:29:54

I'd soak it first and have a poke about. If you aren't getting anywhere then I'd phone the Doctor's surgery tomorrow.

Poor you limping about. Ouch.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Aug-09 20:30:57

they'll give you a jab so you won't feel any pain whilst they're looking for it and getting it out.

and they'll clean it properly.

mummytopebs Sun 09-Aug-09 21:26:24

Oh god looks like a tripto a and e tomorrow for me then, i am so squimish as well.

Do you think they will give me the injection cos i am pregnant

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 09-Aug-09 21:28:34

I would imagine a local would be fine - good luck!

I had this happen with a length of thin metal. Had to have it removed in a&e. You're fine to have local anasthetic when you're pregnant. It will only be a small amount you need.

Yurtgirl Sun 09-Aug-09 21:32:54

Try soaking it in salty warm water
Then piercing then skin where it is and sort of well...... pushing it out

Though tbh when I had glass stuck in my toe I went to local gp who pulled it out with tweezers

Gp announced that when you have broken glass on the floor wet mopping is more effective than dry sweeping........

whomovedmychocolate Sun 09-Aug-09 21:33:19

Please don't soak it and poke yourself - you will get it infected. They will give you local anaesthetic - it's fine if you are pregnant. Elevate your foot for now and watch it for signs of the veins tracking up the leg. If this happens go to A&E immediately. Also if it gets hot, goes numb or you get pins and needles in the foot or ankle.

Tip for next time - a slice of bread pressed onto the floor will pick up glass slivers very effectively without cutting your hands.

expatinscotland Sun 09-Aug-09 21:33:24

yep, you can have it whilst pregnant no bother.

it's a very small amount just so you don't feel pain whilst they sort our the foot and get it cleaned up and dressed.

even more of a reason to go if you're pregnant!

you don't want an infection!

Yurtgirl Sun 09-Aug-09 21:35:56

I know I know that was terrible advice

Esp as op is pregnant

Go to gp and get it done properly - dont do what my dad did and leave it there for months on end (tis true it was his hand not his foot but still) shock

NoBiggy Sun 09-Aug-09 21:39:10

Had this very thing a few weeks ago. Went to the minor injuries dept (we don't have full a&e locally). The nurse fished it out within minutes.

shootfromthehip Sun 09-Aug-09 21:41:14

Sorry to be childish but did no-one else notice the 'Please don't soak it and poke yourself', or was it just me who guffawed when reading that?

Sorry whomovedmychocolate blush grin

mummytopebs Sun 09-Aug-09 21:47:14

Shootfrom the hip didnt notice it first time but when you have put it again yes very funny x

Think the glass is probably off a glass we smashed last week, i am assuming its glass i know it was sharp and was sticking out a bit but now is smooth to touch cos its embedded itself. Oh no i am a right wuss but will go to a and e tomorrow x

whomovedmychocolate Mon 10-Aug-09 07:53:15

shootfromthehip grin oh dear grin

expatinscotland Mon 10-Aug-09 14:08:03

Hope you're off to the A&E or surgery getting your foot sorted out and on the road to healing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now