Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Travel sickness - what do you give your children?

(19 Posts)
Cesario Sun 09-Aug-09 11:38:07

Nothing works for dd (apart from some french tablets) and she can be sick up to 10 times on a long journey or usually on the return journey she will not be sick at all.

any thoughts?

She has an 11 hour coach journey starting at 6am tomorrow. If I give her something before she travels she will sick it up so perhaps the night before?

She dreads going anywhere now.

She is 10

mrsdisorganised Sun 09-Aug-09 11:41:54

I give mine Joyrides, which appear to work but taste revolting! Has to be taken 20 mins before though....

Cesario Sun 09-Aug-09 11:49:02

joy rides no good.....

am thinking something taken the night before

minxpinx Sun 09-Aug-09 11:54:49

have you tried those wrist bands? I have always suffered horribly with travel sickness and they do help.

ChildOfThe70s Sun 09-Aug-09 11:56:48

How awful for your DD, I was the same until my teens - tablets didn't work at all, used to feel sick before the car got off the drive sad. The only thing I can suggest is lots of boiled sweets (barley sugar used to be the cure didn't it??) and ventilation, although if she's on a coach that might not be easy. Is it possible to ask the driver if she can sit near the front or at least away from the engine noise/vibrations? Also, remind her to keep looking at the horizon and not to put her head down to read. looking out the window really seems to help. Good luck!

KnickKnack Sun 09-Aug-09 11:59:59

Travel bands work a treat for both my kids (and me, if I'm a passenger). They come in child and adult size, at 10 she may need either size, so try them on before you buy them. You can get them in a chemist or health shop.

Cesario Sun 09-Aug-09 12:50:32

the travel bands don't work sadly.
she does get to sit at the front. she is notorious for her sickness problem.

cookielove Sun 09-Aug-09 12:58:32

there was a thread about this a while ago, not sure what the outcome was but may be worth having a search for it

cookielove Sun 09-Aug-09 13:14:42

here

MarquesDeLeon Sun 09-Aug-09 13:37:48

Sorry - too late for you and your poor poor daughter, but for the future you might try

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002349.html

You can only get it on prescription here but can send away for it mail order.

Cesario Sun 09-Aug-09 16:18:29

DeLeon, that looks good, have you tired it?

ScarletBear Sun 09-Aug-09 19:41:21

Have you tried ginger? They're a really effective anti-emetic, and they work where other stuff has failed for lots of people! Also, they can be eaten either as lumps, or in biscuits, so are good for children.

MarquesDeLeon Mon 10-Aug-09 09:34:14

My daughter has just travelled to Spain and didn't even feel sick in the taxi to the airport (unheard of) and although felt a little queasy on landing was not sick and got over the nausea very quickly. It is for over 10s only.

candyfluff Mon 10-Aug-09 14:03:22

i give my dd stugeron tablet one hour before a long jouney
it works very well

amidaiwish Mon 10-Aug-09 14:10:45

what about these preggie pops? says they work for travel sickness too.

i was dreadful as a child and stugeron used to work for me.
DD1 isn't great either but seems to cope with the general remedies of sitting at the front, looking out, high booster seat, lots of water, no reading/looking down, distraction, ventilation, very light food (no cheese or chocolate) etc...

Cesario Mon 10-Aug-09 18:28:43

I gave her sturgeion thenight before and that seemed to work.

she was not sick

HOORAY!

amidaiwish Mon 10-Aug-09 21:04:28

great smile

MarquesDeLeon Tue 11-Aug-09 09:21:50

That's great - I will have to give those a try.

Cesario Tue 11-Aug-09 12:44:07

she wore the arm bands as well and sat right at the front nf the coach

I think giving them thenight before settled her in osme way so she didin't get worred about the sickness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now