Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone put on weight wih DEPO .................................. put on 2 half stone HELP please !!!

(23 Posts)
foreverchanges Sat 08-Aug-09 22:43:46

used to be able to eat what i wanted and be a 10 NOT ANYMORE sad size 16 now ....damn that depo ......... anyone else ?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Aug-09 22:45:23

I believe it's very common - go google depo side effects and you'll see.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Aug-09 22:47:44

33.5% of users gain weight apparently tinyurl.com/nteram shock

foreverchanges Sat 08-Aug-09 23:08:35

thanks

chocolate wish i had some(green blacks butterscotch) !!!!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Aug-09 23:09:31

I'm thinking that may also be related to the problem wink

foreverchanges Sun 09-Aug-09 09:19:10

plenty of info there , depo users but on over an average calculation 11 pounds

at least 25% users experience weight gain

theres no way im having another i knew about the weight gain but had had it 10 years ago and not gained so thought i would still be same .......

foreverchanges Tue 11-Aug-09 02:07:40

bump

wanted to hear other mn s experiences really

like will the weight come off if i stop having it ??

foreverchanges Tue 11-Aug-09 10:31:03

and how easy is it to lose weight on it ?

kittycatty Tue 11-Aug-09 12:53:00

Ive put on weight with depo, finding it very hard to lose weight. been on it for 6yrs.

foreverchanges Tue 11-Aug-09 15:28:04

well im not having the damn thing again anything but .i only have to look at food and ive put on a pound

anyone else tried weight loss on depo ?

kitkatqueen Tue 11-Aug-09 15:38:14

I was on depo for several years it was horrendous. I did not attribute at the time all the problems I was having to the depo. It wasn't till I came off it that I realised just how many problems it had been causing me.

Losing weight on depo was difficult - get of it and stay off, tbh I would avoid pill etc for a while if you can to let your body go back to a natural rhythm.

Google depo provera and you might just give yourself a fright. So be warned in your searching.

starynight Tue 11-Aug-09 15:47:36

i put a stone and half on while on the depo and try as i might it just would not shift untill i came of and had a short brake i then started to lose the extra weight steadily.

JigglyPiggy Tue 11-Aug-09 15:51:29

another here who gained lots on depo.

I switched to implanon after about three years of depo and joined SW and finally started to shift the weight. it was hard work but easier then when i had the injection. I also felt my mood was affected by the depo and i think this added to the problem with food / weight gain.

after a couple of years i had the implant out and fell pg and thus the cycle of weight gain / weight loss continued! still battling now after DC2 smile

foreverchanges Tue 11-Aug-09 16:22:53

smile i lost my baby weight 3 years ago thought id stay slim forever hmm now im as big as my mum ,who keeps reminding me how big ive got........mothers grr

Kippaxmum Tue 11-Aug-09 21:26:24

Ive been on depo for about 10yrs on and off, really struggling to loose weight even with healthy eating and excersise, i also have mood swings and no sex drive at all- they give depo to peadophiles to lower their urges i've heard? i dont know if there is another alternative, i just enjoy not having periods!

TinyPawz Tue 11-Aug-09 22:36:31

Depo is the work of the devil.

I put on so much wieght on this!

DEMissmiling Tue 11-Aug-09 22:58:30

Kippax just describe my experience of depo. Tinypawz me current feeling of the stuff.

But give it its dues it did exactly what it was supposed to: no extra dcs running round but was a major contributor in my relationship breakdown with ds' father.

Grandhighpoohba Tue 11-Aug-09 23:32:57

Took it for two years, gained a load of weight. And spots. And produced milk.

But also (I think) caused me mental health problems. Never touching any hormonal contreceptive again!

kitkatqueen Wed 12-Aug-09 11:59:45

demissmiling, and grandhighpoohba, I don't know why my dp stuck around when I was on depo. It turned me into a crazy person. I too am never going on hormonal contraceptives again - I agree it did stop me getting pregs - no bloke would have wanted to be anywhere near that mental bitch! I guess I v lucky - dp did stick around and now baby no.4 is due any day.

Just need to work out what I'm going to do about contraception once I pop. Have been told that dp and I are excessivly fertile blush

Anyone know anything about the cervical ring?

foreverchanges Wed 12-Aug-09 18:49:16

bump

Grandhighpoohba Wed 12-Aug-09 22:12:53

don't know about cervical ring, but we use condoms, non latex ones, and they work just fine. Had far less problems with them than the normal ones. They cost more tho. All a bit fiddly, but until we have one more DC and DH gets snip, then we put up with it. Preferable to mad wife. grin

Kitat, I don't remember much about the last 4 months on DEPO, as went a bit psychotic, shock but DH has admitted he nearly bailed. And I presume too there wasn't much sex!

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 12-Aug-09 22:58:44

Ok shoot me for being a highjacker but very related. How long after stopping did it take for AF to turn up and was she in an evil mood?

kitkatqueen Wed 12-Aug-09 23:08:31

Grandhigh -yep sounds soooo familiar, I nearly lost my bloke and my job. I just do not trust jonnies any more tho...

I was also told that depo was originally created for use on male sex offenders. Apparantly the government had a deal by which they could be released from prison early, depo injections - it meant they were effectivley "neutered" an extreme case of bromide in the tea.

I'm considering the ring on the basis its supposed to have a "local" effect only...

Only time will tell. Just glad I got off the depo when I did

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now