Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sudocream and metanium not working - what next?

(14 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Wed 25-May-05 09:29:01

DD (20 months) has some bad nappy rash on one side only and right at the front. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it - even though it had bled slightly on occasion and still does look quite sore. Previous occurences have always been linked to teething and have cleared up quite quickly just using sudocrem.

This time however (and she is teething), it doesn't appear to be working and a weeks worth of metanium has made it slightly better but it's still there and still looks quite sore.

So - given that this has been going on so long - 3 weeks now - should I take her to the doctors to see if it's anything more sinister or does anyone have any other cream / treatment ideas?

kid Wed 25-May-05 09:30:33

My DD's nappy rash often used to develop into thrush. Cream the Dr gave me would clear it up within 1 or 2 days.

charellie Wed 25-May-05 09:32:09

Agree with Kid. Mine had nappy rash that turned out to be thrush as well. Cleared up within a couple of days after the doctor prescribed a steroid cream.

Windermere Wed 25-May-05 09:33:18

Bepantheon is the only one that works for DS.

bigdonna Wed 25-May-05 09:40:05

i think i would take her to doc,even if the doc says it will clear on its own you have nothing to lose.but get a little piece of mind.

chonky Wed 25-May-05 09:41:03

My dd's just had thrush, cleared up within the week with Canesten.

SoupDragon Wed 25-May-05 09:46:05

Canestan worked for DS1 too. Can be a fungal nappy rash (lovely!!)

HappyMumof2 Wed 25-May-05 10:40:14

Message withdrawn

elibelly Wed 25-May-05 10:43:08

I agree re thrush, but go to GP anyway, Timodine is the only thing that works on DS and it's prescription only. It contains an antifungal, antibacterial and hydrocortisone works wonders almost instantly.

dinny Wed 25-May-05 21:30:10

I only ever use water and cottonwool as ds prone to nappy rash - wipes really irritate him, esp when teething. But definitely go to the doctor too - 3 weeks is a long time to have a sore bum.

HandbagAddiction Thu 26-May-05 08:34:01

Thanks for all the advice and help. Happy to say that it is looking a lot better - however, based on your advice, I have got her an appointment with the doctor this evening to get it checked out.

Have obly ever used cotton wool and water on her bottom for the very reason that she does have sensitive skin - apart from trips out of course. Nursery are also instructed not to use wipes.

ButtonMoon Thu 26-May-05 08:52:59

My doc said to let air get to it as much as possible....can get a bit messy though if they decide to wee everywhere! I would let DD run around after every nappy change for 10 mins or so and that seemed to work quite well.

giraffeski Thu 26-May-05 09:29:47

Message withdrawn

HandbagAddiction Fri 27-May-05 08:27:26

Just a quick update. Waited an hour to see the doctor yesterday which I was no best pleased about! But that aside, dd has got thrush and he has prescribed her with some Timodine cream.

Thanks everyone for advising me to take her. Looks like you were all right all along!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now