Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm having a bit of a panic, when did you have your first period post childbirth?

(41 Posts)
JigglyPiggy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:11:01

A pregnancy test commercial was just on the telly and all of a sudden i realised that i have not had my first proper period yet since having DS who is almost 12 weeks.

I had a small bleed about 3 weeks ago but it was old and not newer blood and was only for a day or so.

please tell me this is nothing to panic about!

stripes200 Thu 06-Aug-09 21:15:06

Are you breastfeeding?

I still had lochia for about 9 weeks and don't think I had a proper period until about 4 months.

Don't think you've got too much to worry about if you're breastfeeding.

Get a test if you're really worried but don't panic yet all quite normal I reckon.

WobblyPig Thu 06-Aug-09 21:15:44

Are you Breastfeeding?

dinkystinky Thu 06-Aug-09 21:17:03

DS2 is nearly 6 months old and I still havent had a period - have had a few stop start bleeds for a day or so here and there which the doctors have told me was my period trying to kickstart but nothing to worry about as am still exclusively bfing (and bfing ALOT). I wouldnt worry about it.

greensnail Thu 06-Aug-09 21:17:52

I got mine back at 5 months (am breastfeeding)

MamaG Thu 06-Aug-09 21:18:23

BabyG is 9 months now and I still havn't had a period

lynniep Thu 06-Aug-09 21:18:32

I honestly can't remember how long it was, but I know it was a long time - I think about 6 months? (I was bf'ing)

CarmenSanDiego Thu 06-Aug-09 21:19:35

Mine didn't come back until about 8 months (breastfeeding). Still not back with this baby at 7 months. *touch wood!*

JigglyPiggy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:16

no im not breastfeeding. My cycle was always regular and with DD it was back to normal pretty quick.

Had'nt thought about it until i saw the ad on the telly and then thought OMG I have'nt had a period.

It could'nt happen though could it? It took years to fall with DS!!

IdrisTheDragon Thu 06-Aug-09 21:20:53

Not until a month after I totally stopped breastfeeding DS, so at 10 months.

With DD was still breastfeeding - they came back at about 9 months I think.

Julezboo Thu 06-Aug-09 21:25:02

28 days after DS2 Lol!! I didnt BF.

You know now you wont rest until you know for sure though, so do a test, get it over with and I'm sure your not, it is different for everyone and it will put your mind at rest

HeadFairy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:25:36

A month after I stopped went down from four feeds a day to two after I went back to work, so that was 9 months after ds was born.

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 21:29:28

if you've had unprotected sex, then obviously ther eis a chance you could be preggers. Women are fertile quickly after mc and birth.

Hope you get the result you want. Send dh out right now, and put us nosy mares concerned mnrs out of our misery

LuluMaman Thu 06-Aug-09 21:29:48

if you have had unprotected sex and you are not breastfeeding, there is a chance you are pregnant.

sorry !

just because it took a long time to conceive before, it does not mean that remains the case, post baby you can be super fertile

KEAWYED Thu 06-Aug-09 21:29:50

My DS3 is 12 weeks old and i've still no sign. Think I'll join you and get a test.
99.99888% sure im not.

LuluMaman Thu 06-Aug-09 21:32:08

oooh, liaghen, there;s an echo in here!!

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 21:37:28

at us lulu

JigglyPiggy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:39:14

oh bugger, i know a test is the only way to know but I can't get one tonight and got rid of my last one as did'nt think we would be ttc again

I guess I am going to have to face the looks of disbelief when buying a hpt tomorrow with DS in his pram - KEAWED will you come and hold my hand?!

funnily enough prior to the hpt advert we were talking about DH having the snip. I stupidly said it was up to him to sort out weeks ago

KEAWYED Thu 06-Aug-09 21:50:32

I'll hold your hand. Even though I'm a grown woman with 3 children I feel embarrassed about going for one.

I'll have to go in disguise to the shop.

Let me know how you get on. Youve given me the push to do it before I start giving all my baby stuff away

allaboutme Thu 06-Aug-09 21:51:42

I didnt breastfeed and it took 4 to 5 months for my period to arrive both times

TigerDrivesAgain Thu 06-Aug-09 21:52:06

it was a year before I had a period.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 06-Aug-09 21:58:19

LOL - I had my first period last month and DD is 2.10. However I did have another baby between times!

I think you are up the duff my dear! Oh my! shock

But how charmingly innocent you seem to be about how it happened grin

georgimama Thu 06-Aug-09 22:01:10

I didn't have AF for 10 months but I was breast feeding.

I think you're probably pregnant, tbh. Test for you tomorrow!

MagNacarta Thu 06-Aug-09 22:04:13

I have eleven months between my two youngest dc's and I was bf. It happens. I blame the doctor - I knew she'd ask if we'd had sex yet at the 8 week check, so I thought we'd better get on with it. Then I kept getting some very familiar pg symptoms, eventually got a test and whoops - another baby on the way.

PinkTulips Thu 06-Aug-09 22:09:14

i bf and got preg with no af 9 mnths after dd and had a period 12 months after ds1.

ds2 is 6 months this week and i'd not expect one for a while yet tbh.

however in your case it sounds like you have cause for concern grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now