Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

SPD - I'm still in so much pain 4 years on - HELP!

(9 Posts)
TraceyMac Thu 06-Aug-09 12:10:54

So, the saga............. I developed SPD at 3 months pregnant, got it very bad, didn't have it with my other pregnancies. I was induced 3 weeks early due to my pain. Labour was in a birthing pool, and excruciating. I'm pleased to say that after birth the wheel chair disappeared, but it tood me 2 years to be able to walk properly again and even then hills were difficult. I've had prolotherapy which helped enormously with pubis pain, but I'm still stuck with pain in my hip, bum and legs. I've had 2 steriod injections for bursitis now, tons of acupunction and IMS needles (painful) - my phisio says i'll never get better. Seeing a new Chiropractor now to see if he can help, but I'm getting depressed due to the lack of sleep I'm getting. anyone else out there still suffering like me?

CarGirl Thu 06-Aug-09 12:16:26

sorry no mine was much improved after birth, just get twinges if I kick a football or something like that.

I think Chiropractor's and osteopaths work slightly differently. I saw an osteopath which made a huge difference. My spd was aggrevated by my overtight ham strings so that was worked on as well as my dodgy back!

I think in extreme cases they can fuse the bones together - major surgery but if the chiropractor doesn't help at all perhaps ask for a referral to a specialist? I would check that your chiropractor has specialist training in trearing pregnant woman, although your pregnant it is a pregnancy related thing and I know for osteopaths they have to have additional training to treat pregnant women.

Weegle Thu 06-Aug-09 12:33:59

Not exactly but I had SPD in my first pregnancy which later turned out to be a Rheumatic Disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis - 3.5 years later I'm still in a lot of pain (in fact registered disabled) and currently pregnant again and it's flared horrifically. I think you probably need to ask your GP for 2 referrals - an Orthopedic one and a Pain Clinic one. Orthopedics can do an MRI and see if there is any actual physical problems with the sacro-iliac joints (the area you're describing pain) and treat you from there. The pain clinic can coordinate your pain control through loads of different options - in Feb I had facet joint injections higher up my spine which numbed some of the pain - they plan to go back in and kill those nerves post-pregnancy so at least the pain is reduced. They also coordinate my prescription meds, have provided steroid injections, and provided accupuncture. So there IS help out there - just in my experience you don't get it without a lot of pushing. All the best because you have my sympathy, because daily pain and mobility problems for years (with young children) never knowing if it will end is the absolute pits.

cocolepew Thu 06-Aug-09 12:35:32

I would go to an oestopath, rather than a chiropractor, that worked best for me.

TraceyMac Thu 06-Aug-09 13:11:31

Have seen an Osteopath previously, but that was years ago now. I wear an SI belt daily to help. Will see Dr this week and ask for MRI and Pain clinic. I emigrated to Canada 2 years ago, so things work a bit differently here - I can see the $ signs!!!!!
Got to give the Chriopractor the benefit of the doubt though, he says he can make me better - but then again, they all say that
You have my sympathies Weegle, question for you, did the SPD cause the Rheumatic Disease?

Weegle Thu 06-Aug-09 20:21:10

no - just the two present similarly and as I was female, pregnant, they ran with an SPD diagnosis for a LONG time - right up until I had an MRI which showed fluid on the SI joints... that then moved me in to Rheumatology.

Pain Clinic really are the beesknees - afterall it's what they specialise in.

But if nothing else an MRI will rule out it being anything else which by now they really should I think.

DMG Mon 10-Aug-09 20:22:46

Firstly, poor you. I only had it during pregnancy and it was hell. I saw both osteo and chiro... there is a chiro in London - Chiswick to be precise Steve Hughes at the Octagon clinic - has specialised in this for a long time. Would suggest a visit if he's near you or a telephone call to see if he can recommend someone local. Good luck I hope it gets better.

hatcam Mon 10-Aug-09 20:35:19

Poor, poor you. Miserable. I'd agree with some of the others that osteopathy may help more than a chiropracter. Has your physio given you any pelvic floor/core stability exercises to help support the pelvis?

Definitely (if you haven't already) try visiting

Has your physio offered an explanation for the continuing pain in hip/bum/legs?

Pilates may also help you, but you need to find a really good teacher, someone who uses machine based pilates rather than mat pilates and someone who is really well qualified and experienced in treating injuries. May be able to recommend someone local to here (Berkshire)

It will get better, it may take some time to find the right treatments for you, it might take lots of persistance on your part too!

hatcam Mon 10-Aug-09 20:37:15

sorry just re-read, you're in Canada so a recommendation for pilates in berkshire is naff all help. Try the pelvic partnership website though, it is UK based but they are amazingly helpful and have great contacts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: