Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could caffine have done this to me?

(9 Posts)
HuffySpice Thu 06-Aug-09 09:59:16

I recently started having the odd caffinated drink after years of not.

Yesterday I ended up having 5 large, strong coffees over the course of the day.

Last night I was sweating, shivering, shocking headache, nausia, achey limbs. I had to change the sheets twice overnight because I was sweating so much I soaked them.

This morning I've woken up kind of okay. A bit fragile, very tired and a bit headachey.

Could it have been the coffee do you think? Or just a coincidence, and I've got some virussy thing?

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 10:06:50

yes def, esp if you are not used to it

I have to keep a very strict eye on my caffeine intake (even when not pg) as I get similar symptoms to you, though admittedly not as drastic.

3 coffees a day max

JustWannaSay Thu 06-Aug-09 10:10:44

I'd say it was the caffiene, almost certainly. It is a very strong stimulant, and if you are not used to it, you will react more strongly than someone who drinks it regularly.

If they were coffee-shop coffees (rather than instant) they can be twice as strong again, so 5 of them would make anyone feel odd I think!

lou031205 Thu 06-Aug-09 10:13:37

Yes certainly. It is given to prem babies to stimulate their breathing.

HuffySpice Thu 06-Aug-09 10:19:40

Well I feel a bit silly.
Lesson learned. Cut wayyyyy back on the caffine.

Will I feel better by tomorrow?
Is there anything useful I can do to get back on track more quickly? I'm at home with two pre-schoolers and they are showing me no mercy.

I feel a bit silly! Somebody fetch the smelling salts, she had a coffee! blush

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 11:16:32

it's a bit like having a hangover or a drugs comedown

you need rehydrating and to mop up the stuff still in your system

lots of water or squash - Lucozade Sport is v good - and whatever food you feel like even if fatty or sugary. My stomach is always delicate after a caffeine-fest and reacts badly to acidic things like fruit or fruit juice .

If you need to have coffees in future to be sociable in Costa etc, get a one-shot (or even half-shot) latte - the sheer volume of milk dilutes the caffeine and cushions your system. Putting sugar in it somethimes helps too. Or have a hot choc / plain hot milk / chai / whatever instead. Or decaff!

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Thu 06-Aug-09 11:17:49

yes was definitely the caffeine

it is a strong drug

and a diauretic

FlightHattendant Thu 06-Aug-09 11:20:25

It depends if you are used to it - it's like a drug.

I get antsy after a lot of chocolate, even tea that isn't decaf.

but if I have it every day I don't notice.

FlightHattendant Thu 06-Aug-09 11:21:46

Oh and yes have been up all night with it, shaking etc before now. It's not what you expect from something so...ordinary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now