Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any tips to conquer insomnia in pregnancy?

(6 Posts)
alittleteapot Tue 04-Aug-09 22:18:58

I've always been a good sleeper, including in first pregnancy, but this time (I'm now 30 weeks) I'm waking up at 2,3 or 4 and am wide awake for at least an hour, often a lot more. I'm not physically uncomfortable and am not particularly worried about anything (although inevitably find stuff to worry about at that time of night) - has anyone got any tips to try and improve this so I can get some rest in before I've got a real reason to be up in the night?

kitkatqueen Wed 05-Aug-09 00:57:41

sorry can't help you i'm still awake

hayes Wed 05-Aug-09 01:10:37

I had this with 2 pregnancy, I used to run a bath two or three times a night (crazy I know) and this helped me to get sleepy again

Its rubbish tho, I've been bothered with insomnia for last 4 weeks despite setting my alarm so I'm up same time every day (school hols so out of routine too) mines is due to worrying about going back to work sad

Quattrocento Wed 05-Aug-09 01:22:41

I used to go to the office. It sounds slightly bizarre writing this down, but when I woke up and was wide-wide awake at night, I'd just get showered, dressed and go in at some ungodly hour like 3.30 am and just pile through the work. Was quite therapeutic.

The upside (apart from getting quite a lot of work done) was that I'd feel properly tired the following night and have a decent night's sleep.

I'm not suggesting that you should do the same btw. It's insomniac behaviour and slightly odd. Just sharing.

hayes Wed 05-Aug-09 01:26:17

I also come down and do my ironing it saves me doing it the next day and it makes me so bored that I get sleepy.

even though I've been only getting about 4 hours sleep a night I still can't get to bed early, I always feel tired during the day but scared to sleep in case it disturbs my sleep at night.

Insomnia horrible I really feel for you, especially since you are so heavily pregnant too.

alittleteapot Wed 05-Aug-09 20:09:33

sorry to hear you've all suffered (and still are judging by time of your posts!) Last night I didn't have the awake period - hurray - but instead I woke every hour on the hour to go to the loo plus was woken twice by my dd. Not exactly the alternative I was after. Sometimes I get up to and do jobs. Would be fine if I had an opportunity to nap in the day, but I don't...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now