Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else get ache under left shoulder blade area about a week before period due and stays until period arrives?

(17 Posts)
Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 22:31:21

Title says it all!

Last period 11-15th

Due around the 8/9th and already the ache is there, it's not bad enough to take pain killers but I am aware of it iukwim.

It's there every month, about a week before period is due, sometimes longer, and it stays until period arrives, sometimes stays throughout period then dissapears until next month.

Anyone else? What is it?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 22:33:03

No idea. Did you get your fanjo problem sorted? (was you wasn't it?)

Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 22:35:36

Was me yep, haven't been to the doc yet, thinking more of ignoring it blush

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 22:38:12

Tsch!!

What sort of pain is it? Stabbing/burning etc? Does it go if you lie down? Is it more on your back or front?

Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 22:42:51

It's just achy, not stabbing, burning like. Doesn't go if I lie down, on my back, nothing on front.

I guess it kinda feels like someone is pushing/prodding that one area really hard iukwim?!

crankytwanky Mon 03-Aug-09 22:44:29

You get the pain every month?
I got shoulder/period pain when experiencing an ectopic pregnancy.

It could be one of those weird body quirks; before my period I get a crampy/clicky right toe! Always have.

Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 22:46:48

Yep every month, absolutely no chance of being pregnant this month.

Last month I thought I was, but period arrived 6 days early - v odd.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 22:53:24

Weird.

You need to get your GP to check your fanjo anyway so mention it. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about though but it's best to check with a lovely GP.

Poledra Mon 03-Aug-09 22:53:57

Abdominal pain can be referred into the shoulders - for example, appendicitis can cause pain in the shoulder blades. I'm not suggesting you have appendicitis, just that inflammation in the abdomen can cause referred pain in the shoulders.

So, pain from your uterus being referred into your shoulders perhaps?

Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 23:00:32

Ohh, how does that work? Why does it go to my left shoulder blade and nowhere else!?

TinyPawz Mon 03-Aug-09 23:16:15

I get that!!! although I hd put i down to not sitting correctly at work pc.....

Poledra Mon 03-Aug-09 23:19:38

Oh god, it's to do with where the nerves from different organs of your body meet the spinal cord - I'm no expert! I think that the abdo nerves meet the spinal cord close to the nerves from the shoulder, so the messages can be confused and you feel the pain in your shoulder rather than the location of the inflammation.

HTH - I an mot a doctor BTW, just a lowly medical scientist grin

Poledra Mon 03-Aug-09 23:21:04

Off to bed now, not being rude if I don't reply smile

Poledra Mon 03-Aug-09 23:30:38

Actually, googling a little (always dangerous!) there is the suggestion that endometriosis can cause shoulder pain, which would make sense with your pain being linked to your cycle - would this be a possible reason for you?

Definitely off to bed this time!

Claire2009 Mon 03-Aug-09 23:47:23

Thanks Poledra, just getting back to this now. I have no other endo signs, I did consider that before.

Thanks

blinks Tue 04-Aug-09 00:02:36

i have endo and get referred shoulder pain. also got it after having both babies...

GypsyMoth Tue 04-Aug-09 00:06:30

so if I get pain in my abdomen, then It could be shoulder pain? Does it work like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now