Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Lump on armpit

(13 Posts)
JennyPenny22 Mon 03-Aug-09 12:43:50

I found a lump a few weeks ago under my armpit but it was very small and didnt hurt so just thought it was a big spot or something.

Now it is bigger (About the size of a marble?) and is very sore.

I was going to see a doctor but my Mum said not to bother as it will just be a blocked gland or something.

What does everybody else think?

PortAndLemon Mon 03-Aug-09 12:45:37

It probably will be a blocked gland or duct or similar, but you should still go and get it checked out to make sure.

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 03-Aug-09 12:48:52

I agree with Port. It could be a gland, it could be a bit of fat (not saying you are big or anything, there's a few fat molecules around there that come from the breast), it needs checking by a doctor though. They will be able to have a good poke and let you know what they think.

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 03-Aug-09 12:49:30

I've had quite a lot of these. The most likely scenario is that it will be e.g. an ingrown hair (which is continuing to grow hence the swelling). It's the most sore thing when this happens. But you need to see the doctor just to rule out anything else (although I wouldn't worry - I've heard that it is a good thing if the lump hurts).

HuwEdwards Mon 03-Aug-09 12:49:50

Get it checked. Most likely as Port said, it will be nothing, BUT, a relative of mine ignored a lump for a year and is now receiving chemo.

What have you got to lose by not getting it checked?

ZacharyQuack Mon 03-Aug-09 12:50:21

Get it checked, then you'll know for sure.

modernart Mon 03-Aug-09 12:50:46

I had one of those and it was a blocked gland. My doctor said usually if it's very painful it will be a gland. It goes away after a few days. Best to go to your doctor though, to set your mind at rest.

foxinsocks Mon 03-Aug-09 12:50:47

yes please do go
better safe than sorry with lumps

JennyPenny22 Mon 03-Aug-09 13:09:25

Does it always go away after a few days modernart? This has been here for weeks?
I will get myself an appointment.


alypaly Mon 03-Aug-09 13:12:13

Its probably an infected hair follicle. Do u shave under armpits? We always give out bactroban ointment at the paharmacy where i work, but it prescription only....its probably nothing to worry about, but it wont go away unless you get this antibiotic cream from GP

hippipotamiHasLost54lbs Mon 03-Aug-09 13:54:29

I have had a few of these and they are blocked glands (in fact I tend to get one roughly every other month, the GP puts it down to a build-up / intolerance of anti-perspirant) They eventually always go away by themselves (within 2 weeks)
However, if it is the first time you have had one - go adn get it checked, better to be safe than sorry.

mummamango Mon 19-Oct-09 09:42:55

Go and get it checked out with your doctor! It's not worth leaving it and will most probably put your mind at rest.

alypaly Tue 20-Oct-09 00:29:07

sounds like an infected hair follicle..... doc can give bactroban ointment to get rid of it ,if thats what they think it is. It works really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now