Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirena coil removal

(8 Posts)
hambler Mon 03-Aug-09 12:22:06

I got a mirena fitted about 4 years ago.

I am not nervous but was surprised how uncomfortable it was and how nauseous I felt afterwards.

Has anyone had one removed?

What was your experience like?

I am thinking of having mine removed and am really nervous about it.

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 12:23:27

I had mine removed last year - a couple of seconds of mild discomfort and it was over. It's not as bad as having it put in

hambler Mon 03-Aug-09 12:25:00

thanks molesworth.
Have you felt different since you got it out?

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 12:26:05

Yes, I've felt a lot better, but I did have severe side effects (depression, mainly). I started feeling better within weeks and my periods returned to normal immediately

hambler Mon 03-Aug-09 12:30:56

oh dear. I have depression too and that is why I am considering having it removed, even thought for ages I have been skeptical abut the possibility it actually could have side effects.

How long did you have it in for?
Hope you don't mind the interrogation!

Molesworth Mon 03-Aug-09 14:33:56

I had mine in for four years and I hesitated to make the connection too, mainly because I've always been prone to bouts of depression, and also because medical opinion seemed to be that it is free of side effects. I started looking around on the internet and discovered various forums and websites with women claiming to suffer from severe side effects, and something about legal action against the manufacturer in the US. At this point I decided to have the damn thing removed to see if I felt any better: within a few months I felt better than I had for four years shock

There's no way I can prove that my depression and other possible side effects (I also developed a nasty form of psoriasis, which is now clearing up) were caused by the Mirena coil. If I could prove it, I would bloody well sue the bastards who make it and fail to ensure that women like me are warned about the possible side effects. I still feel angry about it.

On the other hand, many women use the Mirena and are fit and healthy.

There are loads of threads on mumsnet about the Mirena so it might be worth doing a search and having a read about others' experiences.

Good luck and I hope you feel better once you have yours removed. The removal didn't hurt and it was such a blessed relief to be rid of the thing!

GYo Mon 03-Aug-09 15:08:57

Hi
Had my copper coil out 1 year ago. I dont have ecperience of mirena but I can share my removal experience.

It was absolutely fine I was dreading it. Mainly beacuse I getting it in was a huge trauma due to a wonky uterus.... but it really was so quick you dont get a chance to think about it. Better than smear test even.

Sorry I cant help on other aspects.

hambler Mon 03-Aug-09 22:30:41

molesworth, thank you.
I too hesitate to make the connection, but there is a definite niggle at the back of my mind. I too have had depression off and on.
I just don't feel "right" especially in the general abdominal area but am not even sure whether this coincides with having mirena put in.I am aware of all the internet anecdotes but to be frank I don't put much store on them. It is more convincing to "talk" to a real life person - ie you!
Did you gain weight while having the mirena? Did you then lose it?

GYo thanks for the reassurance. The general consensus seems to be removal is straightforward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now