Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you thought you might be slightly anaemic, would you bother to get a diagnosis or self-medicate?

(11 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 23:08:53

For the past few weeks I've needed to go for a nap each afternoon, which I haven't done since DD was teeny tiny blush She's actually sleeping fairly well so I'm wondering if I'm slightly anaemic - DH is veggie so we don't eat a lot of red meat (though do have lots of green veg). The internet thinks I need to go and get a blood test, which seems like a lot of trouble for both the doc and me. I'm wondering if I should just take some iron tablets (and lactulose wink) and see if I feel better. Am I likely to do myself a mischief?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 02-Aug-09 23:13:32

The therapeutic iron levels that you need to increase blood levels in anaemia are not high enough in over the counter iron pills, so will require a prescription. Your best bet is to pop and see your GP so that your levels can be checked, there are also other illnesses that can cause fatigue so these need to be looked for aswell.

Don't google. Tis bad!!!

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Aug-09 23:13:40

orange juice with a meal, rather than tea, is good for storing iron.
i think i woudl just go for iron rich foods.

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Aug-09 23:14:55

ps i am exhausted after lunch and prefer fresh air. have you tried that?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 02-Aug-09 23:16:27

It's a bad idea to eat carbs for lunch as these make you sleepy, have you tried changing this? It could help.

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 23:24:08

Hmm, interesting, thanks.

I don't think I eat a lot of carbs at lunchtime. Might stock up on orange juice and dried apricots (and some steak wink) for a week or two and see if it makes a difference.

Of course, the fact that my bedtime is midnight might be a factor blush

My dad is a (retired) GP so I don't ever like to bother them, especially as we so rarely went as kids.

cheesesarnie Sun 02-Aug-09 23:26:57

cant hurt to take some iron tablets.but you may as well try it with diet first.im veggie and have to watch my iron-though i drink far to much tea which dulls my iron intakeblush.
you need to include green leafy veg-like spinach,brocolli,cabbage,beans and lentils,tofu,pumpkin seeds,figs,dried apricots(apparently 5 a day is your daily iron!),or dates.apparently dark chocolate is full of iron too!-and nicer than cabbage|!grin.you need to make sure you also have plenty vitamin c to help you absorb all this iron!

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Aug-09 23:27:02

the worst one for me is beans on toast, avoid beans at all times following the sleepiness i feel after eating them!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 02-Aug-09 23:28:01

I would, it can take a long time to get the levels back to normal, over the counter stuff just isn't the right strength so it needs a prescription. They should check if it's anything else, thyroid problems can cause fatigue aswell.
I thought there was more iron in spinach then steak??

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Aug-09 23:29:55

agree, can't hurt to have a test. that is what GP's are paid for, to do their job <<i know how you feel, i hate to bother them too blush>>>

DitaVonCheese Sun 02-Aug-09 23:35:26

I've heard that the spinach thing is partly based on a misplaced decimal point and it's not as iron-y as all that, but it might be an internet myth.

Dark chocolate, you say? wink

Many thanks ladies - will give some of those a go and try to get over my fear of bothering my GP. And now, an early night (kinda)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now