Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Horrid blackheads in DS1's ears

(10 Posts)
FourArms Sat 01-Aug-09 20:18:16

DS1 has some really big blackheads in his ears. He does get a lot of wax coming out of his ears, so I suspect that is why. Anything I can do to get them out? They're not at all squeezable due to location (down the actual ear canal), and I did have a try blush to pick them out with a sterile lance, but he wasn't having any of it! Was wondering if I could suck them out with a syringe or anything, or if I should just leave them alone?

CybilLiberty Sat 01-Aug-09 20:21:55

Ohh my ds had ear black heads too.

I made it my personal mission to extract them. It ended up with me gripping his head between my knees to steady it while my (nurse) SIL poked at it with a wooden lolly stick. It didn't come out! But It did eventually, I did keep trying (much to dh's despair and eye rolling) I was not going to be beaten by a blackhead .

What about a hot flannel pressed up against them to open the pores?

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 01-Aug-09 20:26:14

Omg youve just reminded me of when I was about 14 and just HAD to squeeze the giant blackhead in my then boyfriends ear! The complete and utter satisfaction I felt once I got it was brilliant!

trefusis Sat 01-Aug-09 20:30:23

Message withdrawn

TheYearOfTheCat Sat 01-Aug-09 21:14:05

I have really painful ear spots inside my ear canal. I wonder if it would ruin the romance of a Saturday night to ask my DH to have a go with the inside of a biro?

FourArms Sat 01-Aug-09 21:14:34

He had some a year or so ago, and I used to pick at them when he was asleep. blush Got them out though. These are a bit further into the ear canal so harder to access.

Will have a go with your method trefusis. Wonder if dabbing some anbesol (numbing teething liquid) on first would stop it hurting him as much. hmm

Glad others understand why they must come out!

BonsoirAnna Sat 01-Aug-09 21:16:21

Buy a blackhead remover - you may be able to extract some of them with this.

Otherwise, make sure your DS is washing his ears with hot water and lots of soap when he is in the bath or shower - every day. And cleaning his ears out with cotton buds afterwards. Ear hygiene is a good preventive measure.

FourArms Sat 01-Aug-09 21:16:40

Spots TYOTC, or blackheads? Either way, probably yes, but my DH would relish the opportunity!

<One of his first acts as a married man was to squeeze a huge and very painful spot on my bum. Then had to put a plaster on it in case I bled on my dress!>

Sibble Sat 01-Aug-09 21:25:44

be careful though. I {shame face} tried to squeeze using various implements the one in ds2's ear the other week. Didn't manage to get it but 2 days later it was swollen, his er nearly blocked and hurting. I had to take him to the Gp, act very innocent as to how this could have possibly happen blush. Blocked duct. If it happens she only prescribed bactroban cream. I had to put hot flannels on it until it burst and went down. I'm now leaving well alone although it's still there and very annoying.

hayes Wed 05-Aug-09 03:30:50

my son has these too took him to docs and he said leave well alone they'll go on their own. He does put blackhead remover on cotton wool and clean his ears...this has helped but still small persistant buggers there. He's 13 had them about a year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now