Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Parkinsons advice anyone?

(6 Posts)
Frizbe Sat 01-Aug-09 14:09:29

Am posting this in the hope of being able to help my friend out, her dh has early onset parkinsons and she's starting to find it hard coping with it all, as his medication is getting to the stages where its not working all the time and the hospital don't seem to be able to get it under control at the moment, does anyone know anything about respite care, who to contact etc, she doesn't seem to be getting much infomation from the hospital on this, any ideas? thanks. BTW won't be around much today to find out your answers but I will appreciate them.

FAQtothefuture Sat 01-Aug-09 14:11:27

Parkinson Disease Soceity are the people to contact.

tealady Sat 01-Aug-09 14:12:30

This might be a starting point

here

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 14:12:41

hello

my gran has Parkinsons and is in the final stages of her life (she's nearly 90 and in a home)

have they contacted the parkinsons disease society?

they were very helpful with my nan, they have local meetings for partners and support groups etc. and were very good for advice

with my nan, it was her consultant who made the most difference. Does he have a good consultant?

FAQtothefuture Sat 01-Aug-09 14:15:45

She needs to find out if there's a PDNS (nurse) in her area - sadly there's not many about - but if your area has one she needs to push to get seen by them - it can take years (sorry) to get the right medication balance (not always that long but it tooks years for my mum's medication to be sorted - now it's just tweaked occasionaly).

There will come a stage where the medication doesn't always "work" - it's not that it's not working - more that it can't mask all the symptoms are they are worse.

Frizbe Sat 01-Aug-09 21:09:49

Thanks guys I'll pass on the info smile she's getting to the stage where she really needs some support, she only got 1.5hrs sleep last night, as that's all he got, he's really struggling with coping on his own even to the extent of her just being in another room sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now