Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i need the truth on iv sedation versus strong diazepam for dentist

(62 Posts)
pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 09:38:51

please can you tell me the truth on taking diazepam or iv sedation for one wisdom tooth out.

i am happy to try strong diazepan and my doctor is happy to prescribe it, but i don't fancy the thought of sedation.

my main fear is needles and not being numb enough, which would work best.

i would also like some sort of distraction if taking diazepam any ideas. i am seeing a dentist who deals with nervous patients alot and we are private, can he force me to have iv sedation as my nhs dentist wasn't happy to let me take strong dose of diazepam and have tooth out, she wanted me sedated, hence why we have now gone private.

what are the side effects of both as we are due to go to a christening the day after.

i want to overcome my fear and to be honest the thought of sedation is making me worse.

alypaly Sat 01-Aug-09 09:40:41

most dentists wont do it as they have to have an anaesthetist with them legally incase you react badly to IV. Go for diazepam 5mg if u are really scared. If u are not used to sedatives it will make you feel spaced out whilst u are havin the treatment

alypaly Sat 01-Aug-09 09:45:02

i am a pharmacy dispenser and honestly, go for the sedation.less side effects. The injections for tooth removal are much stronger lignocaine than the ones 4 fillings and they will make sure u r numb b4 they take it out.
You are not a smoker are you as i had a dry socket after removal of back tooth and i was told it occurs in mainly smokers, but i have never had a cigarette in my life. BUT A DRY SOCKET IS SOOOOO PAINFUL... BELIEVE ME so if it comes out quickly that will be brill and then just rest as it is classed as minor surgery. then u shud be ok for christening next day .

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 09:51:29

do you mean iv sedation or diazepan, i am not keen on sedation

BlackLetterDay Sat 01-Aug-09 10:45:11

I have had sedation for wisdom tooth removal, was fine really. As sson as the drugs hit my bloodstream it was poof out of it. They didn't start injecting the lignocaine until the sedation had worked. I did feel some pain during the extraction, but it wasn't like normal pain. It was more a conscious thought, like oo that hurts, but I was one step removed and not actually feeling it iyswim.

Sorry no experience of diazepam, felt a bit spacy all day after sedation but fine the next day. Incidentally also had wisdom tooth extraction with no sedation and was fine, nowhere near as scary as I thought.

Good luck, go with whatever will cause you least anxiety.

EyeballsintheSky Sat 01-Aug-09 10:49:11

I had IV sedation in Jan for a lot of dental work after 20 years absence. I was terrified but really, I have no recollection of anything. I even kicked my boots and socks off, I was so out of it blush. There was an anaesthetist there which bumped up the cost but no way could I have done that without.

Felt bloody awful afterwards though. Was sick in the car and had to spend all day on MIL's sofa. Was still worth it.

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 18:15:03

anybody lse come and share their thoughts on this.

if any of you had just local injection to have wisdom teeth out what was it like, do you feel any pain.

i don't like the thought of being out of it with sedation.

can the dentist make me have it, we are going private.

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 18:16:46

i am also not keen on the side effects of iv sedation. sickness etc.

MarthaFarquhar Sat 01-Aug-09 18:18:58

The IV sedation is really good, and has less of a hangover than diazepam. They use midazolam, which is from the same drug family as diazepam, but has a shorter half life (hence less of a hangover).

MarthaFarquhar Sat 01-Aug-09 18:20:49

Forgot to say, I had this for wisdom teeth removal. Went in to hospital in the morning, was nicely relaxed throughout the procedure although quite aware of what was going on. Had a little nap after lunch and was then right as rain smile.

(although subsequent dental infection is a whole other story)

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 18:20:49

have you treid sedation

I've had sedation for an laparoscopy and had no side effects/sickness/hangover.

I have 10mg of diazapan every time I fly and it makes me a bit giggly but no way would it be enough to help at the dentists if I had a bad dentist phobia.

MarthaFarquhar Sat 01-Aug-09 18:30:08

also re the christening - I assume you do realise that whatever sedative you use, or even if you don't have a sedative, you are very likely to be quite tender and swollen for a few days afterwards?

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 18:32:01

I get dreadful side effects from sedation (IV or otherwise) so much so that I didn't have it when I had an endoscopy recently because I couldn't bear the side effects BUT it's a very personal thing and I think the chances of you having that sort of reaction are pretty minimal.

I agree with everyone else and you must insist on an anaethetist if the dentist wasn't planning on having one (if you go for the IV), though I'm sure the dentist would (but just checking).

I had a big tooth out with just an injection (and I hate dentists) but that's because we weighed up the problems of the sedation vs the injection and I also had a surgeon because of the problems snd it was fine .

smultronstallet Sat 01-Aug-09 18:49:59

OK, I've had a wisdom tooth out with diazepam and it was fine. I'm a nervous patient too. I had 10mg and it didn't bother me at all, even when the extraction went wrong and they had to cut open my gum and stitch it up afterwards.

I weighed up the pros and cons of sedation and decided against it. I think it might be a gut feeling thing? What do your instincts tell you?

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 18:50:30

if you were all in my shoes what would you do.

my doc is happy to prescribe higher diazepan, i took 4 mg the other day to get check up and xrays, but was ok it took the majority of the nerves away.

i now have to have wisdom tooth out, but am really anxious about being sedated. my dentist wasn't happy for me to try higher dose of diazepan, she wanted me sedated, but i said no, hence why we have now gone private.

can the new dentist force me to be sedated, i would rather try with higher dose diazepan and local. my biggest fear is needles and it not being numb enough. if i have iv sedation i still have to have needle so not gaining anything and not keen on being out of it, i would like to be relaxed enough not to care but aware.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 18:59:13

take the diazepam and then go and get therapy for your needle aversion!

smultronstallet Sat 01-Aug-09 19:00:35

They cannot force you to be sedated. Don't worry, they cannot do anything to you that you do not give express agreement to.

I don't see why you can't have a higher dose of diazepam. I was under the impression that oral sedation for nervous dental patients was 10mg diazepam, sometimes given in divided doses (5mg the night before and 5mg before your appt).

There is no need to worry about not being numb enough. A good dentist for nervous patients will reassure you, give you plenty of time for the anaesthetic to work and arrange checks during the procedure such as raising your hand for them to stop if you think you feel anything (though this would be really to reassure you more than anything, I am sure you would be very well numbed up for any extraction).

But I think 10mg diazepam would stop you worrying about it really, esp if you don't normally take it.

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 19:02:33

i haven't got time for therapy as i'm having it done next week.

smultronstallet-my instincts say no to sedation, and try diazepam and local. I don't like the side effects of sedation.

what effect does 10mg diazepam have on you.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 19:03:48

no I meant take the diazepam now but plan later for therapy

smultronstallet Sat 01-Aug-09 19:08:08

Well it will depend on body size etc, but generally it will make you feel like you just want to lie there and veg out while they get on with whatever they are doing

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 19:08:17

yes, thats probably a good idea.

i have only took it on wednesday when went to the dentist and that was 4 mgs.

how long does it take to get the tooth out.

smultronstallet Sat 01-Aug-09 19:10:08

I would think you would feel a little drowsy possibly, effects would taper off gradually over 4 - 6 hours and you would feel OK next day.

smultronstallet Sat 01-Aug-09 19:11:17

Not long, it is pretty quick. Less than 20 mins.

pinkkoala Sat 01-Aug-09 19:24:51

do you feel any pain, or any after effects from the injection.

how about if i had some sort of distraction as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now