Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very bad headache

(13 Posts)
norfolklass Fri 31-Jul-09 12:56:48

Just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom to help me shift this headache that ive had for the last 3 days cause its really making me feel very ill.

Its all across my forehead and really hurts (feels like someone is banging on my forehead from the inside if that makes sense?) and all I want to do is close my eyes...not easy with a 4 year old who is being amazing though I might add!

Ive tried all the normal painkillers and have resorted to Nurofen Plus which is hardly touching it at all...have also taken some decongentant tablets as wondered if it was sinus related but thats not doing anything either. Have used my forehead stuff which you just rub on it and it helps for a bit and then as soon as it wears off its back again and I just can't bear it any longer.
I supposed to be going to london tomorrow to see a show and meet my friend who I haven't seen for ages and the thought of sitting on a train for 2 hours like this is filling me with dread...so any suggestions for anything I haven't tried? Im going to try and walk into town in a bit to go to chemist to see if there is anything stronger I can take but I doubt it! No point calling nhs direct or GP as jammed with swine flu cases so don't think they'd be bothered with a headache!
Help!

slowreadingprogress Fri 31-Jul-09 13:42:31

I find that for bad pain like this you need to take two types of painkillers in combination; for example, you can take Aspirin AND paracetamol.

At the chemist I would ask for the strongest dose they have of two different types.

Also I think there's one that is already a mix of codeine and paracetamol but can't remember what it's called.

But it's the principle of combining two different types that I find works when all else fails. Strongest doses as well.

Hope you feel better soon x

slowreadingprogress Fri 31-Jul-09 13:43:38

you must make sure by the way that you are not taking two types of paracetamol - that's just an overdose and will do you no good at all!

Iklboo Fri 31-Jul-09 13:44:42

Also try lying down with a fairly hot erm hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel on the back of your head. This dilates the blood vessels in your head and may ease the pain - I always do this when I have a migraine.

Co-codamol can be effective but for some reason makes me a bit 'spaced'

suiledonn Fri 31-Jul-09 13:54:01

It might be a sinus infection so you would need an anti biotic not just a decongestant to clear it. I once had sinus pain so bad it caused me to throw up. The hospital were so concerned they sent me for a CAT scan.
Is it worse when you lean forward?

slowreadingprogress Fri 31-Jul-09 13:55:06

is co-codamol the codeine and paracetamol one? If so yes I agree can make you feel a bit spaced but I'd choose that over a really bad headache any day. Though of course it's not easy to be caring for a child at the same time as feeling you're not really 'here'

After I had a caesarean with ds I was sent home with Co-dydramol which I think are similar but stronger. Oh how I really LOVED those painkillers. I still feel warm and fuzzy when I think about them!

<thinks may have over-shared>

kingprawntikka Fri 31-Jul-09 14:24:08

Paramol painkillers are the strongest pain killer you can get off prescription.

Iklboo Fri 31-Jul-09 14:26:31

Oh yes. co-codamol make me feel like Mr Soft (from those chewy mint ads a few years ago) grin

noddyholder Fri 31-Jul-09 14:28:38

Get some syndol and go to bed v early

Kbear Fri 31-Jul-09 14:28:58

Drink lots of water, this often helps when I have a long-term headache.

noddyholder Fri 31-Jul-09 14:30:11

Yes lots of water and strong tea with sugar sometimes helps

norfolklass Fri 31-Jul-09 16:12:25

Thanks all! Went into town and spoke to chemist who suggested paramol so have got a box of those...DH is at work at the moment so am going to wait until he comes home to take them as don't want to feel all weird when Im home alone...if that makes any sense!!

Suiledonn-yes its much worse when I lean forward...it sort of feels like whatever is in my forehead is moving forward which I know sounds very weird doesn't it? I also feel sick but thought that might have just been because of the painkillers Ive been taking.
Slowreadingprogress-lol I know what you mean about co-dydramol...I had my in-growing toenails done about 10 years ago which doesn't sound that bad but it was agony and they sent me home with co-dydramol and I spent all day on the sofa completely spaced out...very weird!! And these paramol I got this afternoon have got a low dosage of co-dydramol in them!
Thanks for all the advice...I can normally put up with a lot of pain (Ive got ibs so am in pain with my stomach quite a lot anyway) but this is really awful.

suiledonn Fri 31-Jul-09 21:41:01

Definitely sounds sinus related to me. If it doesn't resolve you should get it checked out.

Glad to hear you got some good pain relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now