Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone heard of a pain in the neck being stress-related?

(8 Posts)
Carla Mon 23-May-05 13:49:53

Just wondered, cos I haven't until today.

dinosaur Mon 23-May-05 13:51:03

I find that if I am stressed I subconsciously hunch up my shoulders which leads to lots of tension and sometimes pain in the neck.

Chandra Mon 23-May-05 13:52:02

Yes, in extreme cases it can even cause migraines

Triggerhappy Mon 23-May-05 13:55:40

hi, yes, hunching your shoulders can cause it, as can grinding your teeth (again, subconsious).

a massage could work wonders!

dinosaur Mon 23-May-05 13:57:18

I do yoga, which helps a lot.

Incidentally, I find days of heavy mumsnetting are particularly bad for neck/shoulder muscles!!

Carla Mon 23-May-05 13:59:35

So how could it be treated with physio if the underlying cause remains?

Enid Mon 23-May-05 14:21:44

Physio can treat it (ultrasound is good) then they can teach you ways to stand/hold yourself to minimise it happening.

If it keeps happening then you need to destress!

Standing or sitting while imagining there are 3 strings, one on the top of your head and one on each of your shoulders (dont raise shoulders though) pulling you up to the ceiling should help get you in the right position.

Carla Mon 23-May-05 14:25:23

LOL Enid I just tried that and it looks as if I'm about to fart! Will give it a whirl in the privacy of my own home, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now