Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Verucca

(16 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 23-May-05 12:41:47

DD1 (5) has a verucca on her foot. It has been there for a few months now. When I first noticed it I asked the nurse about it and she said that they don't tend to do much with them these days, told me to buy some cream from the chemist (anything to avoid the NHS having to pay for it ) and that should be enough.
The verucca is still there and is even bigger. I phoned up the doctors this morning to make her an appointment to see the nurse and we are going up this afternoon. The receptionist said that she could put her name straight down on the list for it to be frozen off I said that she was only 5 and I would rather someone looked at it first.
Am so worried for dd as she has been through so much medical treatment with having stitches in her chin under local anaesthetic and shutting her finger in a supermarket door at christmas and losing the finger nail.

coldtea Mon 23-May-05 12:45:40

My ds has a verucca & i've been told to buy bazooka.

Dh just had one frozen off & i don't want to worry you(maybe it's because he's male) but he said it's the most painful thing, he was hobbling around for a good few days after.

My doctor told me to keep applying the bazooka to ds & then file it. She said they would only freeze them in children in extreme cases.

SPARKLER1 Mon 23-May-05 12:45:56

SPARKLER1 Mon 23-May-05 12:46:37

I had one as a kid too and remember having it frozen off. Very uncomfortable.

yoyo Mon 23-May-05 12:51:15

DD1 had 7 on one foot which I bazookaed (sp?). Had no effect so stopped putting it on (tends to run in to surrounding skin causing it to peel). They all disappeared within 2 weeks. She now has 3 which she has had for about 6 months. The GP tried freezing but it failed. Think we'll have to wait for them to disappear although if any more appear will probably try the chiropodist.

anorak Mon 23-May-05 13:20:47

I went to a herbalist and she sold me some thyme oil to be applied twice daily. Sage oil can be used, they both work in the same way, attacking and weakening the virus. You need to put on a sock or something afterwards as it can be messy, but you could remove the sock after a few minutes. Apparently it doesn't always work but it did for me. You have to be persistent, it may take a few weeks or months to gradually shrink and go.

Well worth trying as it is harmless and painless. It has a strong though not unpleasant herbal smell.

SPARKLER1 Mon 23-May-05 17:43:17

We saw the nurse and she really wasn't interested in treating a verucca in a child of dds age. She said that cryotherapy is a painful process and doesn't always work anyway. It's very difficult to sit a child through something so uncomfortable. She has told me just to carry on with the verucca gel that I have been using and to pumice away the dead skin.

noddyholder Mon 23-May-05 17:52:13

There is a homeopathic remedy thuja which is good when used in conjunction with neat tea tree oil

fastasleep Mon 23-May-05 17:55:14

I wet myself in shock when I got mine frozen off when I was about 5

assumedname Mon 23-May-05 17:58:37

My dd (now just 6) had quite a few verruccas and I saw a chiropodist. He gave me some tape (can't remember the name, but think available from chemists) and you just put a little bit over the verrucca.

This worked within 2 weeks for some of them and 3 weeks for all of them.

It works on the principle that verruccas don't like being wet and this tape just keeps them a bit damp. Probably a plaster would work just as well. It helps at this age that their skin is so soft.

WigWamBam Mon 23-May-05 18:01:12

This is going to sound really daft, but banana skin can clear up veruccas. Put a small piece on, with the soft inside of the banana skin against the verucca, tape it down with some micropore or a plaster. Change it every 12 hours or so. I swear that it works!

SPARKLER1 Mon 23-May-05 18:18:15

Amazing - I wonder what's in a banana to do that. Shall give it a try if nothing else works.

Tessiebear Mon 23-May-05 18:18:59

DS1 (now seven) has had 3 in the last year or so. I was told to leave them and that they would eventually go black and you can almost pick them off (or they fall off) - which they did. Apparently if you leave them them the body gets some kind of immunity to them. Chemicals like "Bazzukka" are too harsh for young skin "apparently".

tigi Tue 24-May-05 19:31:27

My ds (5) has had his for more than a month now. I thought it was going, and then the black spot reappeared. It's driving me mad! I've tried seal and heal, and some little circle plasters with something in. Will try the banana or thyme next!

QueenEagle Tue 24-May-05 19:44:59

Sparkler I can sympathise if your dd has to have it frozen - I am due to have mine done this week again for the 4th time since November and it hurts like ** immediately after but within a day (two at the most) it's ok enough for me to play netball.

Just wondered though, out of interest, does your dd have any other health probs?? I ask as my dd suffered for years and years with verrucas and we were told it's common in people with kidney problems (as she did) whose immune systems might be busy fighting bugs elsewhere in the body and not able to spare enough for sorting warts out. She is 13 now though and doesn't seem to get them any more. We were also told they do eventually go on their own too if that's any help.

SPARKLER1 Tue 24-May-05 21:07:00

Hi. No dd is as healthy as can be. So no worries about any other health problems at all. But thanks for making me aware.
DD goes to swimming lessons once a week so I guess it's inevitable that she was going to pick one up somewhere along the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now