Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pls tell me what you think about the contraception injection ??

(19 Posts)
WelshSuprise Tue 28-Jul-09 20:40:20

Had my DD nearly 6 weeks ago and went to see the doc today for my final check.
We got chatting about contraception and I decided to have the injection.
Wondered what your experiences were with this as I've heard good and bad stories regarding it especially weight gain in a lot of people.

Would really appreciate your opinions girls x

WelshSuprise Tue 28-Jul-09 20:44:11

bump x

bamboobutton Tue 28-Jul-09 20:44:40

nooo! don't do it, it's an awful thing to put in your body.

i always point people to this site when they ask about depo.

it made my life hell and brought dh and i to the brink of divorce.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 20:45:33

NO NO NO NO NO

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 20:47:30

Read this - please dont have it

here

I had terrible problems, bled for weeks, gained weight, had acne for the first time of my life on my back!!Now TTC and it's horrid.

pinkspottywellies Tue 28-Jul-09 20:48:19

Can I butt in here and ask about the implant. Any thoughts? (was just about to start a thread when I saw this!!)

bamboobutton Tue 28-Jul-09 20:48:21

also they give it to paedophiles and sexual offenders to suppress sexual urges, AKA chemical castration!

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 20:50:30

bamboobutton do they really shock

bamboobutton Tue 28-Jul-09 20:52:16

yers! i'll try and find the website i read it on as its sounds made up, but its true!

hocuspontas Tue 28-Jul-09 20:53:41

Why can't they develop a 'contraceptive injection' for men?

bamboobutton Tue 28-Jul-09 20:54:22

not the same site but read second paragraph down.

callmeovercautious Tue 28-Jul-09 20:57:10

Well - loss of sexual appitite, depression and wieght gain are only a few of the side effects I experienced.

On the plus side I had no periods and it was an effective Birth Control.

I am sure the links go to all the site I looked at and made me come off it!

FAQtothefuture Tue 28-Jul-09 21:00:26

well I have a friend who's been on it for a couple of years with no problems at all.

No bleeding at all - no reduced sex drive, no problems at all.

I had one last June/July time - had spotting every single day - not a lot - but enough to have to wear a pad on a daily basis.

Was told "oh it'll settle down" - so I had the 2nd one in September time.......the spotting continued ona daily basis - I had what felt like a 6 month long period with the amount of spotting I had.

I did't go back in December for my 3rd shot.

Oh and my periods returned about 2 months ago and I seem to have gone into a shorter cycle (about 3 weeks) - (but same length as before - approx a week.....)

Pinner35 Tue 28-Jul-09 21:01:30

Well, in its defence....I had the depo for years. I had no periods and no other side effects and it worked perfectly for me. After DH and I decided to TTC, I got my periods back after 2 months and conceived fairly quickly after that.

Pinner35 Tue 28-Jul-09 21:01:32

Well, in its defence....I had the depo for years. I had no periods and no other side effects and it worked perfectly for me. After DH and I decided to TTC, I got my periods back after 2 months and conceived fairly quickly after that.

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 21:04:43

It took my sister, who is in good all round health 16 months to get PG after she came off the depo - and subsequent reccurent MC which she has been told by a nurse, could still be caused by the depro

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 28-Jul-09 21:09:26

I've just come off depo and realise it caused:
weight gain
depression
insomnia
split me and ex up
cause attatchment issues with ds
paranoia
Extend milk production (3 years after stopping BF!)
killed sex drive

But no periods and no unwanted pregnancy
And i didnt realise the effects until after i came off it and discovered the difference
No clue whilst on it sad

OnlyWantsOne Tue 28-Jul-09 21:12:39

so welshsurprise have you decided?

Chardonnay01 Tue 28-Jul-09 21:46:03

I went on depo and had 4 injections... was fantastic while on it, no periods, no spotting no side effects but when i came off it had no periods for 2 years and was due to go for tests to see if it had induced early menopause when i found out i was pregnant with DS number 3!!!

Great if not planning any babies for quite a while but if you are thinking bout another one i would steer clear!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now