Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

yoga for anxiety?

(9 Posts)
candyfluff Tue 28-Jul-09 18:25:31

thinking of joining a yoga class to help with anxiety -anyone tried this and did it work -also imoverweigh ,will they laugh at me ?

candyfluff Tue 28-Jul-09 18:26:18

sorry space bar not working well
overweight

poshtottie Tue 28-Jul-09 18:43:31

It can help if practiced regularly. Look for a beginners class and a class which includes pranayama (breathing exercises).

I am a yoga teacher though only teaching now and again. I am also suffering with bad anxiety at the moment so I also need to do more. When I practiced regularly I managed to give up medication.

No one will laugh at you and all sizes can do yoga so don't worry.

candyfluff Tue 28-Jul-09 19:09:18

thankyou posh

candyfluff Tue 28-Jul-09 19:46:35

just done a yoga relaxation i got from you tube -i really felt relaxed ,im a covert ,gonna try doing this everyday
had to kick the kids upstairs mind as they were laughing at me

poshtottie Tue 28-Jul-09 20:12:38

Try here to find a teacher. www.bwy.org.uk

candyfluff Tue 28-Jul-09 20:20:35

thankyou had already found one in my area and im just trying to find a mate to go with

Plonketyplonk Wed 29-Jul-09 09:48:09

Yoga is very good for breathing. I used to teach people to ride, and often they stopped breathing as they were clinging on as though it would help. Breathing exercises can help a lot with anxiety, for controlling the associated over-breathing. I found it very helpful for thinking about the 'inside' and allowing all the external things to melt away. My yoga teacher at the time was in his 80s.

FloraT Mon 10-Aug-09 20:58:50

I've done yoga for about 6 years. The really good thing about it is that it is a place where you feel safe because no-one makes judgments about the others in the class and we are all encouraged to do everything to our own limit as it is 'our practice'. Quite a few people are overweight and quite a few come on their own without a companion.

Breathing slowly is fantastic for anxiety, especially if you can develop a slow, full in-breath followed by an out-breath that is twice as long. Try to do it for 15 minutes when you are relaxing and at any time of the day when you can think about it. It's good for when you are feeling stressed as it slows down your heart beat. If you Google slow breathing you'll find that it also reduces blood pressure if done regularly over a period of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now