Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Having a copper coil fitted on Monday (8 weeks postpartum), what should I expect?

(9 Posts)
norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 10:15:04

I'm a bit nervous, I've never had a coil before but hormonal contraception makes me crazy and fat and DP and I are useless with condoms, so, this seems like the way to go...

What can I expect? Will it be painful? Will I bleed for weeks afterward?

<nervous>smile

FimbleHobbs Tue 28-Jul-09 10:32:29

I had a coil for a couple of years. They are v popular with midwives apparently which was a good selling point for me smile

Having it fitted was not very nice, though that could have been the GP's opening comments not filling me full of confidence 'Oh, nurse, do we have the other sort of coil, I find them much easier to fit?... no... oh well we'll have to have a go with this one then'

Deep breaths and look at the ceiling, it doesn't take long.

Afterwards I took the kids to soft play and sat and drank tea, it was just like having period pains/aches for an afternoon.

Can't remember how long I bled for, sorry, but it can't have been ages or I'd have remembered.

The freedom and not needing to worry afterwards was fantastic I have to say.

norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 10:35:13

Thanks Fimble, that gives me a bit more confidence. I've asked DP to work at home on Monday just in case it's really nasty... Sounds like that maybe wasn't necessary!

norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 14:12:07

Anyone else willing to share there experiences?

Also, I was wondering if I'll be OK to drive afterward or if I should just go on my bike, not sure which would be best...

norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 14:12:29

their blush

clarej80 Tue 28-Jul-09 14:29:28

I had mine fited 3 weeks ago, My dad drove me there and tbh i am glad he did. It does hurt but only for a few mins and its done. I had period pain on and off for about a week and only spotted for the first 2 days. Now just waiting on my first period to come. Good luck xx

norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 15:38:10

Thanks for that clare it doesn't sound too bad. Definitely gfeeling less nervous! I'm not sure what to do about transport, maybe DP can take me but DS is usually asleep around the time of my appointment.

This may be a silly question, but will having the coil kick start my cycle or will my periods just come back when I'm BF less / they feel like it?

norktasticninja Tue 28-Jul-09 21:10:59

Hoping to avoid a bump

MegBusset Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:24

Lurking on this as I hope to get one fitted soon for the same reasons as OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now