Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is anyone still up? Poorly baby with very high temp

(12 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Tue 28-Jul-09 00:50:11

Just taken his temp and 39.4 but fast asleep, letting out occasional groans. I could probably wake him but unsure as to whether just let him sleep. He slept for 5.5 hours at naptime today. Woke with temp this morning of 39.3 and gp saw him in isolation and says he could have swine flu but also could be tonsillitis that he was diagnosed with last weekend but had appeared to recover from. Has prescribed more antibiotics to be started if temp spiked again, which it did so they were started before bed.

Am on here whilst on phone to nhs direct. Dp abroad at the moment.

hayes Tue 28-Jul-09 00:52:14

I would try to wake him, poor wee thing.

Olihan Tue 28-Jul-09 00:53:05

How old is he? Have you maxed out on Paracetamol and Ibuprofen or could he have another dose?

Olihan Tue 28-Jul-09 00:54:57

Have you done all the other things like cool wet flannel on forehead, stripping him to just his nappy, no covers, etc?

Sympathies, temps in tiny ones are horrid.

hayes Tue 28-Jul-09 00:55:51

if you can't give him anything else, you could sponge him with tepid water to ease his temp a bit

MamaMaiasaura Tue 28-Jul-09 00:56:21

he is 19 months

Olihan Tue 28-Jul-09 00:59:52

Poor mite.

Our paed assessment unit used to recommend putting a fan on them to help cool them down but I'vee read more recently that it's not recommended anymore. Don;t know why though.

Talk us through what meds he's had and when today.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 28-Jul-09 01:05:52

on phone to nurse now. Been put down for urgent call from dr. Am to wake him now and give him ibuprofen. Not to give both as apparanrl can mask other symptoms. Done all the coooling things, window open, light clothing etc. He just looks so little Off now to see to him as he'll need settling after meds.

Olihan Tue 28-Jul-09 01:07:22

Aww, hope you get a quick call from doc and he's a bit better by morning.

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Jul-09 01:10:07

depends how much hair he has but if you wet their hair it can cool them down quite well. i hope everything's okay, awen.

Penthesileia Tue 28-Jul-09 01:17:46

No more advice than what's already been given, but I'm still up, so wanted to post to say I hope everything's alright. Poor wee chap.

MamaMaiasaura Tue 28-Jul-09 15:28:53

When i woke him up last nighht he was shaking and had ibuprofen. long milk feed and finally settled around 3.30. Doc called during and said he needed to be seen. Home visit doc called at 5 by which time his temp had come down and sleeping soundly so advice was to speak to gp today. Gp been great and gave some adivce. Said if still high temp tomorrow he will need to be reviewed. Despite he clearly feeling crappy he is not complaining. Bless him. Thanks for support last night, felt very scary and alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now