Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

advice/suggestions re: breast lump

(5 Posts)
dinosaurus Mon 27-Jul-09 21:52:04

A few weeks ago I found a very small (probably smaller than pea) lump at the side of my breast (armpit side). The lump is moveable, has not grown and is not painful unless I press on it quite hard. I am not overly concerned - no history of breast lumps/cancer and my age and lifestyle are certainly favourable. I will go to the doctor and think its possibly some kind of fibrous change. Anyone found any lumps like this, and if so, what were they?

bottletopbill Mon 27-Jul-09 22:08:04

my friend did last week and was told that as long as it moves it isnt anything to be concerned about. Dr also told her that guidelines have changed and they do not promote self examination now!

I would go to the doc's and get checked out though

whomovedmychocolate Mon 27-Jul-09 22:10:03

I had one of these and it was described as 'a bit of gristle' hmm by my GP. But it is definitely worth getting checked, not particularly because it might be cancer but sometimes lumps can be other things that need treating (like for example a cyst which will grow bigger)

BlueSmarties Mon 27-Jul-09 22:11:31

I've got a fibroid lump - like a smooth hard pebble, hurts if your press on it too hard. Also got a toughened mammory gland which came up as soon as ds 2 was born and much smaller, harder like a frozen pea.

Stay relaxed about it but always always get stuff like this checked out. And don't be fobbed off by your GP. They are gate keepers to the rest of the NHS - my GP can be quite dismissive but once I get referred the breast people at the hospital are always happy to see me and say better to be sure - although that could just be because I have such lovely boobies!!!

BlueSmarties Mon 27-Jul-09 22:13:09

didn't know that about self examination - i need to update myself on latest as think i'm in high risk group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now