Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gah! dreaded dentist appt tomorrow and feeling scared...

(6 Posts)
fizzyanddizzy Sun 26-Jul-09 20:28:46

and I know it is going to be v bad because my gums are in a terrible state and some of my teeth feel a bit wobbily and they will prbably fall out when the dentist just prods them and then it will all go horribly wrong and I think I am going to explode with fear.......

so somebody say something nice to make me feel better. Will now grin whilst I still can (sob)

chocolatefudgebrownie Sun 26-Jul-09 21:32:02

Wishing you all the best. You will be fine and come out from the appointment

olivo Mon 27-Jul-09 13:46:26

are you back yet? was it ok? hope so!

skymonkey Mon 27-Jul-09 14:32:43

hi fizzyanddizzy, hope the dentist trip has gone ok. but if it hasn't and you do have gum problems, they're probably not as bad as mine!!! here if you need any support

fizzyanddizzy Mon 27-Jul-09 19:28:21

Ok - its not that I am a complete idiot (honest) but me and the dentist were confused about what time I was meant to be seeing him and it turned out I was 15 minutes late and so I wasn't seen at all!!!!!

Cant now get another appt till mid September unless it is with someone who is just qualified and I fear my mouth will put them off for life!

Skymonkey - I know my gums are v bad - have been told before and the splashes of blood around the sink are a dead giveaway (sorry for the graphic description). What are you doing with yours??? will my teeth last until september????? am going to do another grin whilst i still can!

skymonkey Mon 27-Jul-09 21:05:59

hi again. sorry you missed your appointment, how annoying. are you sure you can wait until september? i wouldn't worry about scaring the dentists, it's their job to deal with this stuff. and i know that as soon as i realised how bad my gums were i just wanted to get treated asap.

i've got very severe and aggressive gum disease, it's so bad that i have to be treated at a dental hospital. and i still have all my teeth, just about, so i doubt yours will fall out before september! but the sooner you start sorting your gums out the better chance they have of healing, the disease is irreversible beyond a certain point (i.e. where I'm at!). simple things that may help at home are thorough flossing and brushing along the gumline (gently though, use an extra soft toothbrush). but you really need the dentist/hygienist to give your teeth a professional deeper clean as well.

i know what you're going through though with the panic about losing your teeth. i never used to notice teeth really, but now i have a good look at the teeth and gums of everyone i meet. it's easy to become obsessed!

anyway i hope this isn't scaring you, i was hoping to reassure you that all is not lost. as i said i am an extreme case and hopefully your gums/teeth just need a thorough professional clean and they'll heal up nicely. good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now