Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My husband has gone deaf in one ear from suspected mumps - is his hearing likely to return ??

(6 Posts)
lydle3 Sun 26-Jul-09 09:47:35

My husband is in hospital with infected siliva (sp?) glands, been very poorly, but i think it is mumps. He is a german hospital (soldier) they are testing for mumps.

he is completely deaf in one ear, does anyone know if this is likely to be permenant. I have read on internet, not much said their really. Just says depends.

He is having iv drugs for hearing and for infection.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this ??? He has an ear clinic tomorrow, but am very worried.

thanks.

Medee Sun 26-Jul-09 10:02:23

Don't want to panic you, but I am sure mumps in an adult man can lead to fertility issues - you might need them to check for that too.

Seona1973 Sun 26-Jul-09 10:46:19

my brother is deaf (permanently) in one ear from mumps he had at the age of 23. We dont know about his fertility yet.

stuffitlllama Sun 26-Jul-09 16:42:29

sorry about the deafness, it is hard to find stuff on the net about whether or not it goes away

"Mumps will only affect fertility if it causes orchitis and, even then, only rarely." from netdoctor.

lydle3 Sun 26-Jul-09 17:00:08

Thanks for responses.

Not worried about fertility - i am pregnant with DC4, i am finished with him there grin

Just the hearing - as it could complicate things for him with his career.

lydle3 Sat 01-Aug-09 20:31:19

anyone else any experience ??????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now