We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

abnormal postnatal bleeding

(12 Posts)
Jill2 Sun 26-Jul-09 00:49:13

Hello,
I just had my second child 14 weeks ago and I am still bleeding. The bleeding is not severe but it is present. It had stopped for two days and then returned. I am finding this difficult, due to wanting to have all parts back to normal. I have seen an obgyn and after a not too comprehensive exam, he felt that the bleeding would eventually stop. He did suggest that the pill would quicken matters but I am breast feeding and since the pill may affect my milk production, I opted to just wait it out. However, I still feel in the dark. I am not sure why this is happening and I had hoped that my meeting with the doctor would give a better answer. My body still doesn't feel right. Has anyone else experienced this?? What was suggested?

Sazisi Sun 26-Jul-09 00:55:50

Yes, I had this and it turned out all of the placenta hadn't come out, which caused an infection. I was given a shed-load of anti-biotics and was (eventually) fine.

Sazisi Sun 26-Jul-09 00:57:30

Oh, I should have mentioned my tummy was scanned, so you should ask for that maybe

Jill2 Sun 26-Jul-09 01:00:13

I wondered if that was the situation with me but the doctor gave me a pregnancy test and it was negative. He told me that it would have been positive if I had retained the placenta. Were you given a pregnancy test and did you feel ill?

Jill2 Sun 26-Jul-09 01:00:55

He wouldn't give me a scan

littleducks Sun 26-Jul-09 01:03:04

your dr sounds weird, i had this also
was scanned retained placenta but left to resolve itself as only tiny bit left

LadyOfWaffle Sun 26-Jul-09 01:07:12

I bled for about 6 odd weeks, then after a week or so bled again. I am not sure if it was a period (didn't happen again (11months now)) or post natal bleeding starting up again, but it stopped after a few more days. Have they offered you a scan? Are you taking iron supplements?

Jill2 Sun 26-Jul-09 01:15:37

He did not feel a scan was necessary, so I didn't have one. Although, I did make the request. I also told him that I didn't feel as though everything had healed properly, but he said that everything looked fine, so there really wasn't much more I could say. He also kept telling me that if anything was left, it would show up as a positive on a pregnancy test. I wondering if I should call my GP and try for a second opinion or just wait the two months. (that is the time period he gave for the bleeding to discontinue).

Sazisi Sun 26-Jul-09 01:21:04

I wasn't given a pregnancy test.
I did feel ill (headaches, tummy pain beyond the usual post-contracting thing, headaches and mild fever)
I really think you should get scanned - can you contact your midwife? Or just go to hospital. It's harmful to bleed that long and your dr should know that

Jill2 Sun 26-Jul-09 01:26:05

I don't have a fever, just a bet of tenderness in my belly and some internal tenderness. I am thinking of going back to my GP to see if she can refer me for a second opinion.

elvisgirl Sun 26-Jul-09 06:58:34

Yep, I think you should also have a scan. I had a retained glob of old blood & probably a bit of placenta. Not sure at all why a dead bit of old placenta floating around would give a +ve preg test??? I had antibiotics which didn't work then a D&C. Having said that everyone's bleeding can be different due to all post-preg hormones settling down. Still better to get properly checked out.

Jill2 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:57:54

Thanks for the great advice. I did call my GP and she is setting up a scan. I think that it will just ease my mind a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now