Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do general anesthetics make your heart go slower or faster?

(10 Posts)
giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 22:43:58

Thanks.

Ledodgy Sat 25-Jul-09 22:45:41

i'm not sure but I would guess slower becaue they put you to sleep.

Meglet Sat 25-Jul-09 22:46:05

um... slower I'd guess. Faster would be bad wouldn't it, your blood would gush out when they were cutting you.

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 22:49:30

Good good. Have tachycardia so was wondering what the implications of that would be. Although I have very low BP.

<bluuugh> at blood gushing
<covers ears>

lulalullabye Sat 25-Jul-09 22:51:15

Generally as normal smile

Meglet Sat 25-Jul-09 22:51:31

what are you having done?

GwarchodwrPlant Sat 25-Jul-09 22:53:38

Your heart rate would increase if you were having a painful procedure done whether you were asleep or not.

wrinklytum Sat 25-Jul-09 22:55:58

What Lullalullabye said,though you need not worry as you will be constantly monitored throughout any surgery,your blood pressure and respiratory rate and oxygen levles and blood pressure.

If you are known to have cardiac issues they will take into account and ususally an ecg wouldbe done on everyone as routine prior to a GA.

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 22:56:14

Injured my wrist in soft play in May - this is the op to fix the ligaments. Soft play is evil!

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 22:57:29

I had ecg done at pre op assessment as nurse said my HR was high. And then one last week after going to the GP about wierd symptoms after exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now